Silkies scared

Auntsally

Chirping
Nov 3, 2020
I’ve just introduced two Silkies !slowly !
to my flock off two opingtons and for Cochins they were in a pen within a pen , so they could all see each other at first!
I did have 3 Silkies but one was a cockerel, so I took him back ,
as I have neighbours! that’s are a bit funny about noise! so left me with two!!
first off ! I put the two Silkies ! in with the flock at night, in the dark !
in morn ! I was up before day light to let them out and all was well! no issues a odd peck from one off my Cochins ! And ! the one I least exspected so ! was shocked !! as she is the one that runs away from the others!! the rest!
basically, egnored them, and got on with there day ,
the thing is , now day two , the Silkies have hovered in a corner by my bins, and won’t come out to eat or drink with the rest, I’m not sure if mine are not bothering them ,, cause they are out off sight, or not !
if one off the flock even go near there area the Silkies freak out , even though mine are not looking to fight but just wondering in there direction, I’ve now put a bowl off food down for them and water so at least I know they will not starve !! I’ve also put a box there so they can go into if it rains , as the others are going in to shelter and they won’t follow !
I did last night , carry! them in side with the others in there pet carrier,
that ! they , were still in this morning!
Are they like this cause I took the cockerel away or is this normal for Silkies? And how long will it take for them to venture close to the other flock? The others ,, they all stay in a group!!
they! were not a group a few weeks ago,
they were 4 Cochins, and then I introduced two buff opingtons! there was small squabbles on first day , but the opingtons still tried to mingle and eat with the Cochins dispite the odd peck and they all from day one mingle and follow each other in and out off the house I’m worried that the Silkies will be like this forever they seem scared all the time worried about them

I’ve just introduced two Silkies !slowly !
to my flock off two opingtons and for Cochins they were in a pen within a pen , so they could all see each other at first!
I did have 3 Silkies but one was a cockerel, so I took him back ,
as I have neighbours! that’s are a bit funny about noise! so left me with two!!
first off ! I put the two Silkies ! in with the flock at night, in the dark !
in morn ! I was up before day light to let them out and all was well! no issues a odd peck from one off my Cochins ! And ! the one I least exspected so ! was shocked !! as she is the one that runs away from the others!! the rest!
basically, egnored them, and got on with there day ,
the thing is , now day two , the Silkies have hovered in a corner by my bins, and won’t come out to eat or drink with the rest, I’m not sure if mine are not bothering them ,, cause they are out off sight, or not !
if one off the flock even go near there area the Silkies freak out , even though mine are not looking to fight but just wondering in there direction, I’ve now put a bowl off food down for them and water so at least I know they will not starve !! I’ve also put a box there so they can go into if it rains , as the others are going in to shelter and they won’t follow !
I did last night , carry! them in side with the others in there pet carrier,
that ! they , were still in this morning!
Are they like this cause I took the cockerel away or is this normal for Silkies? And how long will it take for them to venture close to the other flock? The others ,, they all stay in a group!!
they! were not a group a few weeks ago,
they were 4 Cochins, and then I introduced two buff opingtons! there was small squabbles on first day , but the opingtons still tried to mingle and eat with the Cochins dispite the odd peck and they all from day one mingle and follow each other in and out off the house I’m worried that the Silkies will be like this forever they seem scared all the time worried about them
Apologies for my long thread hope you can read and understand it ! because I’m dyslexic I stuggle to spell and put things in sentences thanks 😊

Apologies for my long thread hope you can read and understand it ! because I’m dyslexic I stuggle to spell and put things in sentences thanks 😊
Not need to apologize understood pretty well. I’m sorry you are dealing with this situation I know how stressful integration could be. Keep putting food and water near the silkies and keep them dry. Mine are so use to see broody bring new chicks and me adopting old chickens that they just don’t even notice that a new buddy joined in. I’m not an expert for I think you need to give them time and they will be best buddies. Good luck!

Not need to apologize understood pretty well. I’m sorry you are dealing with this situation I know how stressful integration could be. Keep putting food and water near the silkies and keep them dry. Mine are so use to see broody bring new chicks and me adopting old chickens that they just don’t even notice that a new buddy joined in. I’m not an expert for I think you need to give them time and they will be best buddies. Good luck!
Thanks hopefully they will not be so shy in the next few day! just my opingtons were straight in there brass as anything! even though they were getting put in there place , these Silkies have not had any trouble from any off them, apart from one Colchin , and that was a few peck on there butts , and that’s to move them out the way , my worry is ! I have another 6 chickens at the top off my garden had them a year I’ve added and got more in the last few months them being the Cochins buffs and Silkies 7 these new ones I separated them for quarantine reasons from the oldies , and cause I’m waiting on a bigger house to arrive next week ! I was going to put them all together in there area with my older chickens As they have loads more space !
so dreading putting in the new gang with the old royal chickens, there royals because I named them after the royal family 😆camila fergie Diana Elizabeth Megan and Kate , they are a rowdy bunch as well dreading this reunion off the both flocks and worried about the Silkies being even more scared

Back
Top Bottom