silkies, sizzles, frizzles, what are they?

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
Ok, I know what a silkie is. what is a sizzle, is it just a frizzled silkie? and what is a smooth feathered silkie called that came from a frizzled parent?

this is a silkie
38899_100_0686.jpg

He is in love with a frizzle turken
38899_100_1771.jpg

a sizzle is a frizzled silkie but I don't have any YET

We REALLY need a sticky on this subject, don't we????
wink.png

A frizzle is any bird with frizzled feathering, but it normally refers to a frizzled bantam cochin.

A sizzle is the result of breeding a frizzled cochin with a silkie. Sizzles have the same features as a silkie with the exception of silkie feathering (they may be split to silkie feathering tho) - they have a crest, black skin, a walnut comb, and 5 toes on each foot. They come in smooth and frizzled feathers.

Then there are frizzled silkies (or some call them "frilkies"), which is a a bird that has silkie feathers that are also frizzled.

Then there are curlies (some call them "frazzles"), which is the result of a frizzle x frizzle breeding - some say curlies are not a good idea because the feathers can be brittle.

Here's my sizzle cockerel (from a frizzled cochin x silkie breeding) when he was just a couple months old - he needs a new home, BTW (see my listing under "8 weeks and older"):

20890_1001_sizzle_black.jpg

And this is Phyllis, my "barred frizzled whatchamacallit" - I have no clue what type of mix she is:

20890_1001_phyllis.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
do the smooth frizzles carry the frizzle gene?
ie: if I breed a smooth frizzle to a normal silkie, can the resulting chicks be frizzle feathered?

Last edited:
Quote:
Sizzles (with an "S") can have either smooth or frizzled feathers. You'd really have to ask a Sizzle breeder more about it, but I think the "object" is to aim for frizzled birds - the smooth birds are only used for breeding, because breeding a frizzle to a frizzle is *supposed* to be a no-no.

It only takes one frizzle gene to create a frizzle (dominant, I think is the word - its not "carried" to my knowledge), so yes, if you breed a frizzled sizzle to a smooth sizzle, you could expect to get frizzled sizzles, along with smooth sizzles (and if both of them carry the silkie gene from previous generations, you could expect silkied and frizzled silkie birds as well). One of the genetic gurus would have to give you the percentage details tho.

Edited to add: Now that I re-read your message, I realized your question was about smooth sizzle x silkie - and NO, that would NOT give you frizzled chicks. If the smooth sizzle was carrying the silkie gene from previous generations, you would get silkied sizzles from that breeding tho, along with smooth sizzles.

NZ - I LOVE your sizzle!!! I wish mine had crests like yours!!! Thinking about introducing some of my bantam Polish to see what happens...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom