Silkies skin flakey & peeling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mpracey, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Mpracey

Mpracey Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I need advice on how to treat my Silkie's peeling skin. He's not showing any signs & symptoms of being ill. I checked for lice & mites - use DE on regular bases. Is it nutrition? Did I miss the bugs? R is normal?

Tks
    Mona

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Is your silkie missing feathers? Where is the skin showing??

3. Mpracey

Dec 18, 2011
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Nope - no feathers missing - just see skin peeling around eyes & under wings & it kinda runs down to the back end.
    Tks
    Mona

4. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Intersting......I have a sizzle serama with almost NO feathers and I have been trying all sorts of stuff to keep her skin from drying out shedding....so far AQUAPHOR By Eucerin has worked well. EUCERIN [or genertic equivilate] works too. Haven't tried A&D ointment ...yet...And of course the stuff that works is the expensive stuff.....Baby oil didn't work very well on mine but maybe for you. so, give them a try and see what happens...you can use a Q-tip to apply around the eyes...P.S. try to keep away from anything with fragrance in it.....lanolin/mineral oil/petroleum those are all the good ingrediants for this stuff...
    Hope that helps.....[​IMG]

5. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    DE will NOT kill lice/mites! So don't waste your $$$ dusting....
    The best way to keep the buggers at bay is to use FONTLINE PLUS in the 23-44lb dog size. Place the stuff in a syringe [minus needle] and place one drop under wing OR by vent every 30 days....Works period....
    Maybe the DE is causing the dryness????
    What are you feeding?

6. Mpracey

Dec 18, 2011
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Ok I will try . Thank you for the advice - I appreciate it! Mona

7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    You are more than welcome.....I hope I was able to help miss silkie....[​IMG]

8. Mpracey

Dec 18, 2011
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Oops didn't see the second post - I'm feeding mixture of crumbles, a conditioner , dried worms ( treats) & organic stuff - greens , fruit , yogurt ...He's very spoiled !
    And as far as frontline does it matters what the bird weighs in regard to the dosage?
    Now if you think it's just dry skin I wonder if using the heat light is causing dryness! I just started using it in the last 3 weeks & its been usually dry lately. Just a thought
    Thanks again
    Mona

9. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Well, I put one drop one each of my seramas [mimi chickens for the uninformed]. I personnaly would put two drops on a large fowl size bird tho.
    AHHH, more info.....heat light hmmmmmm, that is a possiblity. what the the temperature over night without the lamp??

Quote:

10. Mpracey

Dec 18, 2011
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    It's been low 30s - I know he's cold cuz he gets real close to light .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by