Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Cuz my d'uccles were fighting over a feather...couldn't tell if they actually ate it or not...they r babies.
I've seen the juveniles outside picking up feathers to eat.. I was curious about that. At the time they hadn't started free ranging yet, but now they are and can look for tasty bugs.

Some of mine are smaller then others even though they are raised the same. I have only raised chicks with a broody hen so don't know any different comparisons.

I either feed starter or grower with shell on the side since there's often chicks in the flock and always roosters in the mix. 20% protein in starter and 16% in grower. Problem is they have anti-cocci meds in it - but natural type ( Orego-Stim and ENTX, plant extracts ) so ok for layers, theres no other option for feed without meds unless it's layer feed and I don't want that for chicks or roosters 🤷 so they have the 'natural' anti-cocci med all the time hopefully no harm done 😟
I have been getting a 22% chick raiser crumble, unmedicated.. i think it's manna pro brand. But once they're big enough, i switch them to nutrena feather fixer. It has 18% protein plus a bunch of natural additives that are supposed to help with plumage. It has higher calcium and vit D than a typical all flock, but still requires oyster shell on the side for egg layers. I prefer to have unmedicated food, then just medicate the water for a limited time if i suspect any issues.

a few of my 5 fuzzlings today. Now 2 weeks old. Danged mom or dad kept stepping in front of the camera as if to say 'No paparazzi
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG

Back
Top Bottom