Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
That's a good point, I cam see the confusion.

I'm wanting to get a dominant white to breed with my partridge male to try and get some paints out of my mixed color pen
I bred my paint Silkie over a blue partridge hen. Many of the resulting offspring had quite a bit of leakage, though some did not. Chicks has a possibility of being blue, black, blue paint or black paint. Many of the males developed gold in the hackles.
All these birds pictured are from this pairing.😊
C1B3EB2D-9718-45FA-A565-C999ED62BF51.jpeg
062C2BF1-9BDC-4F4A-B8D1-21278093D203.jpeg
A3A4FC81-9B94-40B5-87E6-7A9B74200118.jpeg

A302E931-15CD-43D9-B4DC-5C1CC09FE458.jpeg
74AE1299-894D-4A0D-AE81-2190A81EB1DF.jpeg
4F841D8D-F8CE-4887-9AC5-632B7797F7BA.jpeg

I have heard that they have black skin and possibly black meat. I once had an old silkie rooster mix that I wanted to eat but thought his meat would be tougher than an old shoe. I have never had the experience of dining on a silkie chicken. They are classified as bantams so I assume there isn't much there to eat. I can't say eating a single is on my bucket list but it is a source of curiosity that I have. I might take it if given the right opportunity. I don't know if I am allowed to say that here but I guess I just did.

They taste the exact same as ameraucana the same age. I usually use them for soup to make it spread out better. Mom does chicken and dumplings with the ones I bring her. Great for two people with leftovers.

People eat "cornish game hens" that are sold in the store. Those things are tiny because in reality they are 3-4 week old broilers.

any health issues? lack of oxygen for some reason? it does not sound good.
I don't think lack of oxygen, and she's a healthy silkie. She was born in January of this year so she's not old either. I think I'm going to start adding a vitamin mixture into their water just in case. Thanks for helping @chickengr

I don't think lack of oxygen, and she's a healthy silkie. She was born in January of this year so she's not old either. I think I'm going to start adding a vitamin mixture into their water just in case. Thanks for helping @chickengr
I have one that when she was bout 2 months old would get her nostrils all icky cause she stuck her head too far into mash, fruits, whatever they were eating.
Someone on BYC said to take a qtip with hydrogen peroxide and get as much out carefully as i cpuld. I was told I might have to do this with her off and on from now on.
She also gets the hiccups (is what it sounds like) when she eats too...she's quite comical lol
All that to say she at times will jump out of her skin and fly few up in the air for no reason...everyone else is calm and noone is near her. But she does the squawking n freaking out then runs off and settles back down.
Otherwise she's normal!

Owww such a cutie!! 🥰 I love her expression in the young pic of her, sweet colour too

She was so done with me trying to get her to stand straight and look at me. She got fed up, tilted her head up and gave me that look. I'm laying in the grass with the camera, tapping her and whistling. Was down by the gate so about 30 feet from the road. Anyone who went by probably thought I was weird. I think it was well over 100 pictures I took of her. I was so excited when she looked at me like that. It's one of my favorite pictures.

Back
Top Bottom