Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
hmmmm, 4 out of 5 eggs have hatched.. I candled #5 last night, and this morning... Air cell continues to grow on day 22. But, I got a glimpse at the first four when Poof Poof finally got out to stretch her legs and gorge on food. Had to move Steelie off the babes to see what was what.. I know I have 2 splash (top and bottom chicks) one blue (right) and Holy Moley, that must be Sioux's baby on the left. She's the only hen that had red in the background (red cochin mix-F1)! The other two hens are blue, and dad is a blue splash.
20230201_092942.jpg
20230201_091448.jpg

Any guesses on what the one with red will turn out to be? We can follow progress.

hmmmm, 4 out of 5 eggs have hatched.. I candled #5 last night, and this morning... Air cell continues to grow on day 22. But, I got a glimpse at the first four when Poof Poof finally got out to stretch her legs and gorge on food. Had to move Steelie off the babes to see what was what.. I know I have 2 splash (top and bottom chicks) one blue (right) and Holy Moley, that must be Sioux's baby on the left. She's the only hen that had red in the background (red cochin mix-F1)! The other two hens are blue, and dad is a blue splash.View attachment 3392499View attachment 3392500
Any guesses on what the one with red will turn out to be? We can follow progress.
Idk but they sure are cuties!!!
You getting me itchin to do some hatchin!

That chick with orange I believe is the ONLY eggs of Sioux's to hatch. Sioux was in with the two blue pullets and TG the Splash Roo.. My line of thought goes like this.. Sioux's mom's was a red cochin. Sioux's hatch mate is Cheyenne (white with a light pattern).. The following photos are of Sioux, and her 'niece' from Cheyenne and Gen Lee the partridge roo.
20230201_112814.jpg
20230201_112826.jpg

hmmmm, 4 out of 5 eggs have hatched.. I candled #5 last night, and this morning... Air cell continues to grow on day 22. But, I got a glimpse at the first four when Poof Poof finally got out to stretch her legs and gorge on food. Had to move Steelie off the babes to see what was what.. I know I have 2 splash (top and bottom chicks) one blue (right) and Holy Moley, that must be Sioux's baby on the left. She's the only hen that had red in the background (red cochin mix-F1)! The other two hens are blue, and dad is a blue splash.View attachment 3392499View attachment 3392500
Cuties!!! Goodluck with number 5!

Cuties!!! Goodluck with number 5!
# 5 was DIS last night. I did an eggtopsy to see what went wrong. It had absorbed all of the yolk, but appeared to have part of it's insides on the outside. This morning the 'ladies' had the 4 remaining kids out for food and water, even though a bit chilly for us. Two had already popped back under moms by the time I had gotten there with the phone to snap a shot.
20230202_092328.jpg

As for squabbling, there is none.. The ladies are working in tandem to care for the chicks.

I love the fact that silkies are so good at co-parenting. I always try to have 2 hens for each hatch. The last hatch one of the teenage cockerels kept trying to feed the chicks as well.

More can be problematic as I have had them turn aggressive in protecting chicks. Had 5 hens decide they were going to raise some chicks that one hatched. One hen would hide the chicks when they saw me and the others would attack my feet. These were hens that normally would come right up to me.

Last week I'd found Molly, my best broody, in her pen unable to get up well. Looked to be a broken leg. So she's been inside in a tub with the runty pullet that was in that pen. Pullet is putting on weight and Molly is moving about some but still takes it easy on the leg and lays down a lot.

I'm setting up the broody coop for them. They've been in the back bedroom because a cold snap went through and you heal faster if you don't have to try and stay warm as well. It stays between 40 and 50 back there. We will warm a bit to those temps outside again so they can go out.

Back
Top Bottom