Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Maybe I'll put her diaper on her and let her hang out in the office w me.. distract her!! I was expecting 4 eggs today, but only got 1.. not sure whose it was!
I do not know about your other bantams, but silkies do not normally lay daily. My standard sized olive egger normally lays 5 days a week and then she started laying daily for 13 days, then she went broody. I think daily egg laying may be a sign if they do not normally lay daily.😊

I do not know about your other bantams, but silkies do not normally lay daily. My standard sized olive egger normally lays 5 days a week and then she started laying daily for 13 days, then she went broody. I think daily egg laying may be a sign if they do not normally lay daily.😊
Both Nala (silkie) and Minnie (D'uccle) have been laying daily since day 1!! But it is laying day for the others today, so i should have 4.. but only got 1.. unless they laid very late. I just peeked tho and they are all alseep in a big chicken pile, i don't have the heart to bug them 🥰

I just re-read your message... omg.. don't tell me i potentially have **2** brand new layers going broody 🤣

If you want to break them of this, you will have to put them in a metal dog crate or similar that does not have a solid bottom and it’s elevated off the ground for example on a few bricks or pieces of wood. All they get in there is food and water no bedding. I know it sounds cruel but you have to keep the air under them cool this breaks the hormone cycle and stops them from being broody. It can take a few weeks after this for them to start. I had Raven my olive Egger in the dog crate for about 24 hours and that’s all it took with her. The sooner you nip it in the bud the better. Apparently if you wait too long then it can go several months before they start laying again. There are several threads with detailed information on the forum, if you need more.😊

If you want to break them of this, you will have to put them in a metal dog crate or similar that does not have a solid bottom and it’s elevated off the ground for example on a few bricks or pieces of wood. All they get in there is food and water no bedding. I know it sounds cruel but you have to keep the air under them cool this breaks the hormone cycle and stops them from being broody. It can take a few weeks after this for them to start. I had Raven my olive Egger in the dog crate for about 24 hours and that’s all it took with her. The sooner you nip it in the bud the better. Apparently if you wait too long then it can go several months before they start laying again. There are several threads with detailed information on the forum, if you need more.😊
Ok, i have a dog crate i can use... i have a brooder too, but Both of the two new cochins chicks are in there! Oh these girls!! 🤣

Not overnight. I'd collect in morning though.
I don't think there were any late eggs, but normally i double check before they go to bed. They are heading to bed earlier now w the earlier sunset, i haven't adjusted as quickly to the seasons! 😆

The new chicks will be 4 weeks old on Wednesday.. they've been close to the others, but i am hoping i can integrate them all soon. I want to finish up my coop improvement within the next couple weeks. Actually, there is a nesting area for the broodies! Although it sounds like maybe i should discourage that afterall!

I have two 1/4 silkies that went broody twice this year so far so the silkie broodiness passes on very well. Most of my silkies do so 3 times a year. The half silkies have been broody 3 and 4 times.
I guessed I'd have at least a few months of eggs before they went broody! Once i move them to their new space, they'll have a bird spectrum light. Hopefully that helps them minimize broodiness. I think its too dark where they're at now.. not enough direct light.

I've had silkies since our first year of chicken keeping and I've always loved them to death, especially as a kid. I have 3 right now, 2 are doing fine but one of them seems to be very mentally challenged...she's always had a bigger puff but hasn't always acted this way, it was ever since she stopped going broody...must have been pecked and got brain damage due to her vaulted skull. Anything I can do for her?

Back
Top Bottom