Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I’ve been trying to figure out the color for the four silkie chicks that just hatched. At first I thought they were just white and black but then I saw pics of lavender chicks that looked similar to the ones I thought might be white. Not sure if this is the right place to ask but what should I look for to determine the color? Or do I just need to be patient and wait for them to feather.

I’ve been trying to figure out the color for the four silkie chicks that just hatched. At first I thought they were just white and black but then I saw pics of lavender chicks that looked similar to the ones I thought might be white. Not sure if this is the right place to ask but what should I look for to determine the color? Or do I just need to be patient and wait for them to feather.
Post some photos! We all LOVE seeing baby chicks. Can be hard to guess sometimes when they are little, but fun to try!
Welcome to BYC! 😊

I don’t know. I got them from a place that sells silkies and eggs. I put them under a broody hen. I’ll post some pics that I have but I can try to get better ones.

Attachments

• 2C65A719-620F-4AD2-94DD-4A7C621F1FBE.jpeg
    2C65A719-620F-4AD2-94DD-4A7C621F1FBE.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 5BB795D5-B516-49C2-B7B6-CA371CFC9F0D.jpeg
    5BB795D5-B516-49C2-B7B6-CA371CFC9F0D.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 8
First baby could be splash, I don’t think it’s lavender ( self blue). Could also end up feathering in white! You will know as it starts to get it’s wing feathers.
Second baby looks like it’s black with some leakage (other color showing through over the wings).
These are of course just guesses on my part! Congratulations on your little babies they are very sweet.😊

First baby could be splash, I don’t think it’s lavender ( self blue). Could also end up feathering in white! You will know as it starts to get it’s wing feathers.
Second baby looks like it’s black with some leakage (other color showing through over the wings).
These are of course just guesses on my part! Congratulations on your little babies they are very sweet.😊
Thank you. If the black one has leakage, how likely is it to show up? Or is it more likely to just feather out black? Black with other colors over the wings sounds real pretty. I’d love to get a splash they are super cute. Not that white isn’t cute, but I do prefer other colors. Of course what matters most is that A. They are happy and healthy and B they aren’t Roos. I hate having to find new homes for my birds, I don’t like getting rid of them. Still I’d rather hatch them and have to rehome then buy straight run.

Back
Top Bottom