Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
I agree 100% that shipped eggs are more likely to be malpositioned. The ones I’ve had to intervene on have been mostly from shipped eggs! Good idea to be prepared!
I like your idea of making safety holes in your shipped eggs after they’ve internally pipped @LynnaePB. This last little cutie, my lone survivor out of 10 eggs, I did this with when she hadn’t externally pipped after almost 24 hours. I lost a few earlier that had only internally pipped after about eight hours and then passed so definitely going to be doing the safety hole from now on!😊

My 9.5 yr old 'Queen' Chickaletta has laid her usual 8 eggs and gone broody this morning as expected so I picked her up and placed her on her nest of 8 eggs in the broody coop so she won't be disturbed.. I need to get more straw, just ran out but had enough to make her nest at least...
.. looks like I won't get an Easter day hatch with Chickaletta but I have another looking like she may go broody soon so there's a chance I'll still get chicks at Easter.
IMG_20210303_122639.jpg
IMG_20210303_122701.jpg

Little Imari four days old today is now fully integrated with the big kids! They like to spend a lot of time on top of this box I put in there with a ramp up so they can see outside the sides of the cage. They’re brooding in a converted chinchilla cage with a deep pan and they can’t see over the top of the pan otherwise. Took Imari most of yesterday to figure out how to get up the ramp, but the big kids kept ditching her so she was motivated!🥰
0CAD6A44-656F-462D-AA02-ACA9C896F2AE.jpeg

:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit

Chickie is gone! I looked everywhere!!
One of my 6 weeks olds. There was only 2 so now only 1 lonely chickie left. -- These are the chicks mother hen Nugget didn't care for so I had to take them but now they are outside since a week ago and happily doing there own thing, together...
Now one is on its own (in the flock of older chickens) will it be ok? The 2 chickies always were together.
What could have happened to chickie? Maybe a bird flew down and grabbed him? They have trees over so I thought they would be safe outside.
Just gone :hit IMG_20210224_155707~2.jpg

One of my 6 weeks olds. There was only 2 so now only 1 lonely chickie left. -- These are the chicks mother hen Nugget didn't care for so I had to take them but now they are outside since a week ago and happily doing there own thing, together...
Now one is on its own (in the flock of older chickens) will it be ok? The 2 chickies always were together.
What could have happened to chickie? Maybe a bird flew down and grabbed him? They have trees over so I thought they would be safe outside.
Just gone :hitView attachment 2553809
So sorry!😢
Do you have predators that can get to them? Anyway she could be hiding out somewhere?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly on the silkies specific page, so forgive me if I've posted incorrectly.

Would someone be able to help me with this gorgeous guys color? I'm getting conflicting answers and I'm just not sure. Blue, grey or splash?

Attachments

• PXL_20210303_212337840.jpg
    PXL_20210303_212337840.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210303_212333233.jpg
    PXL_20210303_212333233.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 5

Just gone :hitView attachment 2553809
I'm so sorry Chickie is missing:(
Could he be stuck somewhere? I read about a hen who went missing and some days later was found stuck in a wood pile. Did you look very intensly everywhere onto the ground where they freerange for little feathers laying close together in one spot? Did your other baby act different/scared (as if she had witnessed something) when you found her alone?
I hope Chickie is hiding somewhere...fingers crossed :hugs

Back
Top Bottom