Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Just wonder @LadiesAndJane @LynnaePB (or others who know about colours)
Smokey X Biscuit offspring colouring .. should I get red leakage but this leakage is usually only males isn't it? What colours chick possibilities would there be?
.. Hopefully hatch in about 17 days with first time mum Smokey 🐣

With Cookie in the same coop now I won't know who's the dad after this hatch. But Cookie has similar colouring so chicks would look similar whoever the father is?

Biscuit..
View attachment 2836666
Smokey
View attachment 2836668
Biscuit and Smokey
View attachment 2836672

Cookie..

View attachment 2836684

Hmmm I'm just guessing here but it looks like they are both likely partridge based with the addition of the columbian gene in Biscuits case that pushes the black/blue to the tail and wingtips mostly.

Smokey looks maybe blue based and Biscuit might be as well or even a darker splash base given the way some of his tail feathers are darker than others.

I'm guessing you will get grey (silver partridge) and Columbian grey offspring from these two that may be blue/black/or splash based (or only blue and splash based partridge/grey if Biscuit is actually splash). The red leakage is likely to show up in male offspring and will probably not be very noticeable in female offspring. Biscuit looks silver based to me but if he is actually silver/gold you might also get some partridge and buff (gold based) offspring from the pair as well. If Biscuit happens to be homozygous for columbian I think that would mean all the offspring would inherit one copy. In a gold based partridge this would result in more of a buff look with smut (darker feathers) in the tail and wings.

I'm looking forward to seeing the offspring! If my guesses are right they should have some partridge type chipmunk markings as chicks most likely. The ones who inherit columbian may have less patterning but will likely still have a bit (like a bit around the eyes and a few spots/stripes on the back). I could be completely wrong though. 😅

Here is the differences between how the red showed up on some of my grow outs I hatched around Easter with a red pyle project boy who has a somewhat similar amount of red to Biscuit and is also likely silver based over a red partridge hen. He has dominant white rather than Columbian though.

Here is how it looks on a silver partridge/grey girl from them (she has a sister who didn't get as much of it and looks more silver).... very subtle, you can see the brown tint in some areas though.

silver partridge with red girl.jpg

Here is her silver partridge/grey brother....it shows up a lot more vibrantly on him.

silver partridge boy with red 2.jpg

Here is a red pyle project girl from the pairing.....on the lighter base it becomes a lot more obvious.

red pyle girl.jpg

And here is a red pyle project boy from them (sorry the picture is blurry). The red is definitely the most obvious on him! 😁

Red pyle boy 2.jpg

Here are mom and dad

Fiore.jpg

Shay s.jpg

How can you tell if they are vaulted skull?

It's easiest to tell when they are chicks since the crest isn't in the way but you can still tell when they are adults as well. If they have a very small vault it might not be very easy to tell they are vaulted though. You'll have to get a good look at the shape of the top of the head. I can usually do this by holding them and parting their crest so I can see to the skin on their heads. If the crest is wetted it can be easier to see as well. :)

I don't have any pictures of vaulted vs non in adults but here is some vaulted vs non chicks. That (brain/skull lump) that is raised on the head is the vault. Sometimes that entire portion sticking up has no skull over it (just skin) hence why vaulted can be much more prone to head injuries.

Sorry for some hatching goo, I find it easiest to see vaults when they are just hatched. A lot of time I'll let them dry off in a little heating pad cave while I hold them and I'll snap a quick pick to look back on to see how their vault and comb looked at hatch. Some might look dead but they are just tuckered out from hatching. :lol:

Here are some vaulted both newly hatched and dry

vault.jpg

Vaulted girl.jpg

vaulted girl 2.jpg

Dry vault.jpg

dry vaulted 2.jpg

And here are some non vaulted

non vault.jpg

Non vaulted boy.jpg

non vaulted boy 2.jpg

dry non vault.jpg

dry non vault 2.jpg

dry non vault 3.jpg

Since vault size can vary sometimes it can be hard to see a vault that is very mall. This chick has a vault though you may not really be able to tell by looking at a picture. In person I could see there was a very small one.

small vault.jpg

Hi, I know this is not Silkie related but what is your favourite?
  • Easter Egger
  • Araucana
  • Salmon faverolle
  • Ollive egger

Hmmm I don't have any experience with three of those (I have had easter eggers). Based on looks though it's a tie between the araucana (with the rumpless ones something about not having a tail looks adorable) and the salmon Faverolle (I just think they look really pretty). :)
View attachment 2838714View attachment 2838717Just picked up these three little pullets from a breeder on the other side of the island. Most of her birds are beardless. Picked up the two little Partridge girls for my friend who lost her little pullet last week. Picked up the black one for myself. I do focus on bearded birds but I think I may be able to use her with my paint anyway.😊
The little partridges are maybe eight weeks at most and my best guess is the black one is three months old. Fairly certain they are female but as you all know Silkies can fool us!🤣 No cockerel signs whatsoever currently anyway. Being beardless makes them a bit easier to sex.
The breeder did have two that were bearded but they also had some good size wattles already so I suspected they were cockerels.
They will hang here in my quarantine tractor while my friend gets her coop ready. They already got their first dose of dewormer and a good dusting with permethrin powder!😊View attachment 2838713View attachment 2838715View attachment 2838716

Congratulations on your new little black pullet! All three look adorable (and very feminine)! 🥰

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new little black pullet! All three look adorable (and very feminine)! 🥰
Thanks! The little black pullet was making quite a ruckus this morning and clucking, so I think she may be older than I thought she was. Her tail is pretty fluffy and developed but she’s very tiny. The two partridge are still making chick sounds.

Your project birds are so gorgeous and fluffy!😍 Love the red pyle in the pullet. These are hard to find. Hoping to get some fun colors with Eko.
You always describe colors so well and are so thorough in your explanations. I appreciate it!
Your photos and explanations of the vaulted versus non-vaulted skulls are excellent and you can easily turn this post into an article about it. I think it would be useful for many people.😊

Amai has been laying for about three weeks now, her eggs are on the small size but I think that might be just the size egg that she lays. Tempted to try to incubate some as Eko has been mating her quite frequently, I think she’s his favorite! Kinoko as well, tempted to try to hatch some of hers, too. Weighing pros and cons of incubating pullet eggs as I’ve had mixed results with these in the past.
Love the paint colored silkie/polish crosses.!🥰

Just wonder @LadiesAndJane @LynnaePB (or others who know about colours)
Smokey X Biscuit offspring colouring .. should I get red leakage but this leakage is usually only males isn't it? What colours chick possibilities would there be?
.. Hopefully hatch in about 17 days with first time mum Smokey 🐣

With Cookie in the same coop now I won't know who's the dad after this hatch. But Cookie has similar colouring so chicks would look similar whoever the father is?

Biscuit..
View attachment 2836666
Smokey
View attachment 2836668
Biscuit and Smokey
View attachment 2836672

Cookie..
View attachment 2836684
Missed this post somehow! 😬
@LynnaePB Has already given you a wonderful and more thorough explanation of the colors than I could have.🤣
Nothing to add other than your birds are gorgeous!😍

Hmmm I'm just guessing here but it looks like they are both likely partridge based with the addition of the columbian gene in Biscuits case that pushes the black/blue to the tail and wingtips mostly.

Smokey looks maybe blue based and Biscuit might be as well or even a darker splash base given the way some of his tail feathers are darker than others.

I'm guessing you will get grey (silver partridge) and Columbian grey offspring from these two that may be blue/black/or splash based (or only blue and splash based partridge/grey if Biscuit is actually splash). The red leakage is likely to show up in male offspring and will probably not be very noticeable in female offspring. Biscuit looks silver based to me but if he is actually silver/gold you might also get some partridge and buff (gold based) offspring from the pair as well. If Biscuit happens to be homozygous for columbian I think that would mean all the offspring would inherit one copy. In a gold based partridge this would result in more of a buff look with smut (darker feathers) in the tail and wings.

I'm looking forward to seeing the offspring! If my guesses are right they should have some partridge type chipmunk markings as chicks most likely. The ones who inherit columbian may have less patterning but will likely still have a bit (like a bit around the eyes and a few spots/stripes on the back). I could be completely wrong though. 😅

Here is the differences between how the red showed up on some of my grow outs I hatched around Easter with a red pyle project boy who has a somewhat similar amount of red to Biscuit and is also likely silver based over a red partridge hen. He has dominant white rather than Columbian though.

Here is how it looks on a silver partridge/grey girl from them (she has a sister who didn't get as much of it and looks more silver).... very subtle, you can see the brown tint in some areas though.

View attachment 2840340

Here is her silver partridge/grey brother....it shows up a lot more vibrantly on him.

View attachment 2840341

Here is a red pyle project girl from the pairing.....on the lighter base it becomes a lot more obvious.

View attachment 2840342

And here is a red pyle project boy from them (sorry the picture is blurry). The red is definitely the most obvious on him! 😁

View attachment 2840345

Here are mom and dad

View attachment 2840347

View attachment 2840349

It's easiest to tell when they are chicks since the crest isn't in the way but you can still tell when they are adults as well. If they have a very small vault it might not be very easy to tell they are vaulted though. You'll have to get a good look at the shape of the top of the head. I can usually do this by holding them and parting their crest so I can see to the skin on their heads. If the crest is wetted it can be easier to see as well. :)

I don't have any pictures of vaulted vs non in adults but here is some vaulted vs non chicks. That (brain/skull lump) that is raised on the head is the vault. Sometimes that entire portion sticking up has no skull over it (just skin) hence why vaulted can be much more prone to head injuries.

Sorry for some hatching goo, I find it easiest to see vaults when they are just hatched. A lot of time I'll let them dry off in a little heating pad cave while I hold them and I'll snap a quick pick to look back on to see how their vault and comb looked at hatch. Some might look dead but they are just tuckered out from hatching. :lol:

Here are some vaulted both newly hatched and dry

View attachment 2840278

View attachment 2840290

View attachment 2840300

View attachment 2840308

View attachment 2840312

And here are some non vaulted

View attachment 2840317

View attachment 2840318

View attachment 2840319

View attachment 2840320

View attachment 2840321

View attachment 2840322

Since vault size can vary sometimes it can be hard to see a vault that is very mall. This chick has a vault though you may not really be able to tell by looking at a picture. In person I could see there was a very small one.

View attachment 2840326

Hmmm I don't have any experience with three of those (I have had easter eggers). Based on looks though it's a tie between the araucana (with the rumpless ones something about not having a tail looks adorable) and the salmon Faverolle (I just think they look really pretty). :)

Oh yeah.... Mine are definitely not vaulted then lol.😅 but thank you for this amazing explanation for every thing!😁

Back
Top Bottom