Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
So i paid ridiculous amounts of money to get this coop and run built with lots of space, then had it delivered, then had a tree pulled, then had the ground leveled, then everything moved into place.. and they are all piled up in the very corner pushing each other out of the apparent favorite spot. 🙄

20220119_122430.jpg

There are 3 chickens there... and Esmeralda was squeezed in too until she saw me.

Silkie egg number 2 was just laid. It is Chiquita laying, I happened to walk by and peek in the cage and saw her lay it. Now comes the hard part, do I or do I not save up a few and incubate them. I'm going to store these separately and make my decision by Sunday I think.
Save a few!!! 😍

Im not sure I'll trust Elsa w the new silkie chicks, even when they are bigger. Im afraid of the damage she would do to a silkie. I went into the run and saw a sticky spot on Esmeralda, thought someone pooped on her while roosting. Nope, its gunky dried seeping blood up near her shoulders between her wings. Elsa did it no doubt. They seem fine right now, but I'm so disappointed. The neighbor has mentioned to me that her niece would take her if I needed to rehome. I feel conflicted, but i do not want my PETS attacked and injured.

Im not sure I'll trust Elsa w the new silkie chicks, even when they are bigger. Im afraid of the damage she would do to a silkie. I went into the run and saw a sticky spot on Esmeralda, thought someone pooped on her while roosting. Nope, its gunky dried seeping blood up near her shoulders between her wings. Elsa did it no doubt. They seem fine right now, but I'm so disappointed. The neighbor has mentioned to me that her niece would take her if I needed to rehome. I feel conflicted, but i do not want my PETS attacked and injured.
I’ve had to rehome more than one of my older girls when introducing new birds unfortunately. My very human friendly Wyandotte, Rosie, would actually go in for the kill anytime I tried to introduce a new bird. She’s the one that almost killed poor Kinoko last year after a failed integration attempt. Rosie was lower on the pecking order and I believe this is why she acted that way. Probably normal chicken behavior, but I can’t accept bullies! She did go to a new home and I do get reports about her once in a while and she is doing well.😊

So i paid ridiculous amounts of money to get this coop and run built with lots of space, then had it delivered, then had a tree pulled, then had the ground leveled, then everything moved into place.. and they are all piled up in the very corner pushing each other out of the apparent favorite spot. 🙄

View attachment 2965847

There are 3 chickens there... and Esmeralda was squeezed in too until she saw me.
Yep! Sounds just like spoiled chicken babies!

I’ve had to rehome more than one of my older girls when introducing new birds unfortunately. My very human friendly Wyandotte, Rosie, would actually go in for the kill anytime I tried to introduce a new bird. She’s the one that almost killed poor Kinoko last year after a failed integration attempt. Rosie was lower on the pecking order and I believe this is why she acted that way. Probably normal chicken behavior, but I can’t accept bullies! She did go to a new home and I do get reports about her once in a while and she is doing well.😊
Her being so sweet with me is what makes it hard. She is instantly asleep and nuzzling her head whenever i pick her up. But Esmeralda is pretty big! So to damage her like that.. well then id be running into maintaining separate runs and coops if im unable to combine this new group.. i didn't just go through all of this stress for that. The D'uccles are so laid back, and Esmeralda really keeps to herself, so i have zero worries about them w the new chicks. In fact, if Elsa weren't there, i could probably start intros within a couple weeks. She is so beautiful too.. but after hearing about other blue and black cochins behaviors, i think there might just be too much aggression in the genes. Feeling sad, but will start considering finding a new home for her.

I wassss thinking, maybe, keeping a roo would be good, but the roos will be young for several months out still.. so I think they'd be her target as well.

I had to put Esmeralda in the coop tonight and before i closed the door she grabbed my arm and just didn't want to let go or stay in there. Elsa was already roosted, so i knew she would be ok. But since we will have high winds and sleet tomorrow, i was just going to keep them cooped up (the coop has lots of space). But now I think that's dangerous for Esmeralda, so i might bring her inside the house w me.

Im reminding myself this is supposed to be fun, not this stressful!

Parrots are similar.. people think they need to get them "friends" but in reality, they prefer to have their own territory (unless it's an early bond). I was just thinking i could move Elsa on her own, but i really can't. I'll start looking for a home for her and I know I'll feel better when i get the new chicks Integrated.

Back
Top Bottom