Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 791 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.7%

• Total voters
Gotcha
I keep takin mine ice cube treats couple times a day that has different kinds of berries in em but they still panting.
What's everyone else doin for their hot babies?!
Something I do for their water is to keep two water bottles frozen so that when you go to change out the water you can replace the melted one with the frozen one and put the melted one back in the freezer. This helps to keep their water cool for a while.

Something I do for their water is to keep two water bottles frozen so that when you go to change out the water you can replace the melted one with the frozen one and put the melted one back in the freezer. This helps to keep their water cool for a while.
Yeah I normally try to do that too on hot days but outta waterbottles currently lol!

I was looking for pics on internet and just found this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blue-egg-layers-in-china.1280476/

I didn't know they can be different colours and have red combs. my girls are all black and boy is black with red/brown spots on his chest. they all have black combs. on the farm I got them from all the girls are black and boys black with red/brown spots. they lay a lot of green eggs, probably about 200.
Ooohhh i like those eggs!! Pretty black chickens too

Gotcha
I keep takin mine ice cube treats couple times a day that has different kinds of berries in em but they still panting.
What's everyone else doin for their hot babies?!
I have a sheet over one side so they don't get any direct sun.. that seems to have made a big difference.

I have a sheet over one side so they don't get any direct sun.. that seems to have made a big difference.
Yep I do too. I use shade cloth on sides and top in Summer. There are different grades of heat blocking so you could get the highest rating for the best heat blocking ability. I use zip ties to put them up and when cooler weather comes round then I just take them down and store them for next Summer.

Yep I do too. I use shade cloth on sides and top in Summer. There are different grades of heat blocking so you could get the highest rating for the best heat blocking ability. I use zip ties to put them up and when cooler weather comes round then I just take them down and store them for next Summer.
I have a solid roof, so thats helpful. The sheet is a bandaid until i move the retractable shade from my patio to the chicken run. It has uv blocking, but breathes and is for cooling. I really need it just for the summer.

For the winter, i think ill get some clear shower curtains or greenhouse vinyl and install grommets on them so I can wrap the whole run. Its typically warm, but freezing cold snaps and weird weather seem to be the norm everywhere anymore.

I have a solid roof, so thats helpful. The sheet is a bandaid until i move the retractable shade from my patio to the chicken run. It has uv blocking, but breathes and is for cooling. I really need it just for the summer.

For the winter, i think ill get some clear shower curtains or greenhouse vinyl and install grommets on them so I can wrap the whole run. Its typically warm, but freezing cold snaps and weird weather seem to be the norm everywhere anymore.
So are yall saying u do something on the sides of the run in addition to the solid roof? This is mine but only the morning sun comes in the run door right there then sun moves across the front of the run on opposite side. But majority is shaded all day.
It is just super hot.

Attachments

• 20220211_071559.jpg
    20220211_071559.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom