Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Fluffy is broody for the 3rd time.
1118191026.jpg

I was going to wait until spring to hatch since I wasn't getting much interest in my last chicks (they did eventually find a home when they were two weeks old) but I talked with someone local who sells silkies and they said they usually are in high demand and not so easy to find in my area and gave me some advice on where to post to sell. That was all the incentive I needed to pop 14 eggs into the incubator today. :oops:

Hopefully I won't end up with 14 babies nobody wants but if I do at least I'll get to see how they grow out which will be nice. I was expecting to get a bunch of babies from the eggs I picked up locally from a breeder but I'm not having much luck and only have 4 eggs that look like they might hatch so at least I'll have plenty of brooder space ready for the big batch of babies when they arrive (assuming I get many to hatch, since some got pretty cold sitting on the counter in our unheated kitchen).

I could be wrong about which pullet laid which egg but based off of how each ones eggs typically look I have...

6 from this dominant white
dominant white girl.jpg

7 from my non bearded splash
Splash girl.jpg

and 1 I think is from this recessive white girl (could also be from a paint girl but I'm excited to see what color will pop out from a paint cockerel x recessive white pullet since you never know what color the recessive white is hiding).
reccessive white girl.jpg

I wish these girls had nicer wings but at least they all have sweet temperaments and have never had any health issues so should make some nice pet quality babies (and who knows maybe even breeder quality if I'm really lucky)! :)

I was going to wait until spring to hatch since I wasn't getting much interest in my last chicks (they did eventually find a home when they were two weeks old) but I talked with someone local who sells silkies and they said they usually are in high demand and not so easy to find in my area and gave me some advice on where to post to sell. That was all the incentive I needed to pop 14 eggs into the incubator today. :oops:

Hopefully I won't end up with 14 babies nobody wants but if I do at least I'll get to see how they grow out which will be nice. I was expecting to get a bunch of babies from the eggs I picked up locally from a breeder but I'm not having much luck and only have 4 eggs that look like they might hatch so at least I'll have plenty of brooder space ready for the big batch of babies when they arrive (assuming I get many to hatch, since some got pretty cold sitting on the counter in our unheated kitchen).

I could be wrong about which pullet laid which egg but based off of how each ones eggs typically look I have...

6 from this dominant white
View attachment 1961832

7 from my non bearded splash
View attachment 1961834

and 1 I think is from this recessive white girl (could also be from a paint girl but I'm excited to see what color will pop out from a paint cockerel x recessive white pullet since you never know what color the recessive white is hiding).
View attachment 1961835

I wish these girls had nicer wings but at least they all have sweet temperaments and have never had any health issues so should make some nice pet quality babies (and who knows maybe even breeder quality if I'm really lucky)! :)
Good luck. Pretty ladies you've got there.

Back
Top Bottom