Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
I'm curious of how she turned out. We haven't visited the turkey guy in quite awhile.
You guys don't really have hatcheries in your country?

No not really. There is a few places across the UK that breed in large numbers but there isn't that many at all.

It's primarily private breeders we have which it can still be like trying to find a needle in a haystack when looking for nice quality birds!

No not really. There is a few places across the UK that breed in large numbers but there isn't that many at all.

It's primarily private breeders we have which it can still be like trying to find a needle in a haystack when looking for nice quality birds!
Interesting.

I got my "show quality" mongrels from a local breeder off of craigslist. Only one with a decent comb and 1/4th or so are hard feathered. We still like them all and I do not care about showing vs. having pets. So still happy with them.
@Fur-N-Fowl have you seen these guys with your own eyes? Everything looks right about the comb, ears, and eyes. Just I can't get over how tightly spaced their legs sit on them in these photos.

The main thing is that you are happy with them yourself! :D

Not in person no, they are too far away. I'm buying with great confidence though as the breeder they're coming from is one of the best breeders of English standard bearded Silkies in the UK. She's won at nationals with her line before :)

The main thing is that you are happy with them yourself! :D

Not in person no, they are too far away. I'm buying with great confidence though as the breeder they're coming from is one of the best breeders of English standard bearded Silkies in the UK. She's won at nationals with her line before :)
Well I could only spot that one potential "flaw" per the American SOP, and it just might not be a real thing at all(those snaps might not represent them accurately). It just appears like that to my eye and I would love them in my flock as they hands down surpass the quality of my Silkies. Cheers!

One of my beautiful ladies Marshmallow.

Attachments

• 20191211_173327.jpg
    20191211_173327.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 11
Been busy with hatching babies, I had 18 fertile out of the 20 eggs and so far 17 have hatched and I'm just waiting on the last one (he/she has an external pip and should be out pretty soon). It's been really exciting seeing everyone hatch but I'll be happy when this last one is out and the hatch is over so I can relax and get some decent sleep. :lol:

I candled the 13 eggs tonight due to expected bad weather over the next few days.

One was infertile (which I expected as it was a first egg), one had a blood ring and was swishing around in the egg, another was also swishing around in the egg.

I cracked them open and the blood ring one was dead as there was no heartbeat, as I expected.

However, the other which was swishing around still had a heartbeat. When I candled it, it was as if nothing was holding it still in the egg at all hence why I believed it had died but sadly not.

The 10 remaining are looking nice and solid though with development!

It's a shame to have lost one after cracking it but it happens...:idunno

Those guys look lovely! I hope you are able to find a good home for Zoltan. :)

Good luck with the 10 remaining eggs! Sorry to hear about the little one with the heartbeat.

One of my beautiful ladies Marshmallow.

Aww what a cutie!

Well I could only spot that one potential "flaw" per the American SOP, and it just might not be a real thing at all(those snaps might not represent them accurately). It just appears like that to my eye and I would love them in my flock as they hands down surpass the quality of my Silkies. Cheers!

Over here they have to look quite 'dwarfed' with short dumpy neat legs, which can be a pain to get right :th

Don't worry, I'll get more photos of when they are here! :)

Been busy with hatching babies, I had 18 fertile out of the 20 eggs and so far 17 have hatched and I'm just waiting on the last one (he/she has an external pip and should be out pretty soon). It's been really exciting seeing everyone hatch but I'll be happy when this last one is out and the hatch is over so I can relax and get some decent sleep. :lol:

Those guys look lovely! I hope you are able to find a good home for Zoltan. :)

Good luck with the 10 remaining eggs! Sorry to hear about the little one with the heartbeat.

Aww what a cutie!

Good news, I think I've got him a home! :lol:

He will be going tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom