Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Try moistening her food just a bit that way she can’t spill it as easily in the metal crate. It’s OK if she laid an egg just remove the egg and make sure she’s not able to sit anywhere where she can generate body heat.
Once she has been in there for 24 hours you can let her go out and see if she makes a beeline for her usual nesting area. If she does, then you need to put her back in the crate. Repeat every 24 hours until she goes back to normal behavior. It can take a few days. From what I’ve read the average is between 36 and 48 hours.
if you go on some of the other threads you’ll get more expert advice than mine!😊
Actually your advice is perfect and to the point!!

Its starting to look like a very strange pet situation in my house 😆

20201019_125330.jpg

Actually your advice is perfect and to the point!!

Its starting to look like a very strange pet situation in my house 😆

View attachment 2379187
You should pull that plastic tray out she needs to be directly on the metal and then raise it up on some blocks so it is off the ground. Needs to have air circulating under her when she is sitting or lying down.😊

You should pull that plastic tray out she needs to be directly on the metal and then raise it up on some blocks so it is off the ground. Needs to have air circulating under her when she is sitting or lying down.😊
Ok, what if i put a perch in there? Will that help her? I have branches in my yard i can cut.

Just as an FYI my olive egger is on her seventh day without laying an egg since I broke her broodiness. I’ll let you know when she lays an egg to give you an idea. I think the sooner you break it, the sooner they will start laying eggs again from what I understand.😊
So she was sitting on an egg early this morning, but it turns out it was the D'Uccle egg.. so she is keeping everyone's eggs warm!

Ok. I know I am not supposed to!!! But I am the worst chicken mama ever!! She looked SOOOOO SADDDD... it was time for bed and everyone was sitting on the floor next to her, staring into her eyes.. so I let her go into the coop w her sisters!! I know I know.. I shouldn't have done it!! I will get her back out in the morning.. but you should have seen those eyes!!

So she was sitting on an egg early this morning, but it turns out it was the D'Uccle egg.. so she is keeping everyone's eggs warm!

Ok. I know I am not supposed to!!! But I am the worst chicken mama ever!! She looked SOOOOO SADDDD... it was time for bed and everyone was sitting on the floor next to her, staring into her eyes.. so I let her go into the coop w her sisters!! I know I know.. I shouldn't have done it!! I will get her back out in the morning.. but you should have seen those eyes!!
I know! 🤣You’re a good chicken mama! 🥰It’s going to take her that much longer to stop the broodiness. If you can steel yourself a little bit it can be over in a couple of days.😊

I know! 🤣You’re a good chicken mama! 🥰It’s going to take her that much longer to stop the broodiness. If you can steel yourself a little bit it can be over in a couple of days.😊
Ok.. tomorrow I will be more prepared.. I need to get a towel to cover her cage at night (i do that for all of my birds.. i cant help it) and get a perch for her to sleep on. I just cant leave her like a poor abandoned chicken. Oh she will be so lonely!!!

I pulled the tray out, but there isn't actual wire for the pet at the bottom, only a couple cross bars for the tray support. But!! She seems to like the tree branch. I didn't get weak tonight, just let her get to sleep on her own then everyone was fine. They weren't as distressed today. Tomorrow i might give her a quick cool belly bath. She really didn't sit today, she seemed "busy" looking to see what the new chicks and her BFF were doing. Hopefully she will be good tomorrow!!
20201020_153829.jpg

Back
Top Bottom