Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Your little cutie looks like a smooth feathered baby to me. The frizzle feathers pretty much start coming in that way when they are frizzled and by 1-2 weeks old it's usually fairly obvious from what I've seen. I've seen a few frizzles that have less curl to their feathers but given how smooth your little one is looking now I'd be surprised if she is carrying any frizzle genetics herself. The ones that are both silkie feathered and frizzled can be harder to tell since they don't often look too drastically different than a normal silkie. :)
Thanks! That’s fine. The smooth feathered silkies still look cute. She has the cutest dark grey/black streak on her other wing. Hopefully, she will have a few more streaks as she feathers out. They look really nice and a few sprinkled around in the smooth feathers would really be pretty.

Thanks! That’s fine. The smooth feathered silkies still look cute. She has the cutest dark grey/black streak on her other wing. Hopefully, she will have a few more streaks as she feathers out. They look really nice and a few sprinkled around in the smooth feathers would really be pretty.

Sounds like she is probably a little splash. The splash I've raised always get more and more splashes of color as they get older/feather in so I would think your little one has a good chance of that too! :D

OK for those of you who were interested, photos of my little Silkie Hybrid chicks that hatched this morning! Father is my white Silkie cockerel, Jane and mom is a black olive Egger who is an ameraucana/BCM cross. They are still in the incubator quite tired from their journey into the world today. Looks like Jane is recessive white!😂
I will post more photos when they fluff up and are perked up a bit more.
One has more of a silvery color in the black but it might just be the baby down.
So far I can tell they have feathered legs though not as much feathering as a pure silkie chick would have. Their mom has feathered legs as well.
Haven’t been able to determine if they have the fifth toe or not yet but I’ll see later.
They have the solid black eyes and beaks like their father, their mom’s eyes are bright orange.
Legs look black or dark gray and they both have a few pink toenails!🥰
Edited to update that one has 5 toes on each foot and one does not. As mom has grey legs I do not think they are sex linked. From what I understand, they would be for shank color if mom had yellow legs (boy chicks would have yellow legs and skin, girl chicks would have black legs and skin).
E91579B3-C612-49D4-95E1-D61CF3B66E1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Aww they sure do look beautiful! That red there on the wings is really interesting for a pullet. With how light the gray in her tail/wings and crest is I wouldn't be surprised if she was carrying blue. If I had her and a blue rooster I'd be curious about that pairing as you might get some splash chicks that may get that red too (which would be splash with red leakage sometimes referred to as splash calico). I've seen some breeders have some amazingly beautiful results with splash calicos though I think it is a tough color to work with in regards to ratios of red to splash. It's not a recognized color but it's one I really love and hope to work on in the future as a project.
Thanks for the info! Now I want spring to come even more!

Aww they sure do look beautiful! That red there on the wings is really interesting for a pullet. With how light the gray in her tail/wings and crest is I wouldn't be surprised if she was carrying blue. If I had her and a blue rooster I'd be curious about that pairing as you might get some splash chicks that may get that red too (which would be splash with red leakage sometimes referred to as splash calico). I've seen some breeders have some amazingly beautiful results with splash calicos though I think it is a tough color to work with in regards to ratios of red to splash. It's not a recognized color but it's one I really love and hope to work on in the future as a project.
Do you think it's a pullet? She was hatched on July 17th and all her siblings that are roos have already started crowing and getting combs and hackles.

Back
Top Bottom