Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I WISH I could get my hens to lay! Could you have your hens give mine some pep talk or advice? LOL

Hehe. I still have a lot not laying. They are getting up in years though.

My late summer hatched pullets started laying this last week. Both silkies and crosses. So we are able to eat a lot of eggs again.

"They're simply spectacular." Well, that's a bit of a stretch, but high quality silkies are easy on the eye.

As to those who know everything - lucky them. This old man is still eagerly learning. The true definition of intelligence is; "Knowing your limitations and what you really don't know."
Well I saved one from tractor supply.they looked sad. I knew nothing about chickens. It's a buff silkie and her name is Buffy 😄. She lays the most perfect little eggs and it quite the announcer. Since she's the only one, she gets picked on but by now she's aware and keeps her distance and I throw her and her Buddy Henry.... also from tractor supply, my second rooster, their own little area for feed. It's a sort of keeping a natural distance daily dance

:celebrate

First and foremost - ABSOLUTELY NO HATING ON SILKIES ALLOWED!!! If you aren’t here to support our fuzzy friends, don’t respond. :)

Silkies get a bad rap for the following:
"Looks like a dust mop"
"Too hard to maintain"
"Poor immune system"
"Dumber than rocks"
"0 predator awareness"
And oh, so much more.

Well my friends - I thought so too, until I actually got silkies for myself. These are some of the most wonderful birds out there.

I’ve found them to be highly heat tolerant, wonderful mothers, having the strongest immune systems in my Bantam flock, GREAT LAYERS (that’s right folks), adorable as all get out, and more. :D

I currently have 9 silkies - and my rooster has been nothing but a gentleman to his ladies. They free range daily and I’ve not had a silkie get killed by a predator yet. My hens average 5 eggs a week - not too bad for a silkie, eh? :)

Most of the time, these silkie haters haven’t even owned the breed, but rather pretend they know everything. :lol:

So... let the fun begin! Support our silkies! :woot

Pictures always welcome. :)

Be mindful, and respect others...

Off-topic discussions are allowed, though try to maintain the subject of silkies.

-Kayla-
I love my two silkies and silkie mix they are so sweet. Can anyone tell me what color my silkies are? First is my 6m oldsilkie cockrel Audrey and the other is 6m pullet Pepper
20210111_121238.jpg

:celebrate

First and foremost - ABSOLUTELY NO HATING ON SILKIES ALLOWED!!! If you aren’t here to support our fuzzy friends, don’t respond. :)

Silkies get a bad rap for the following:
"Looks like a dust mop"
"Too hard to maintain"
"Poor immune system"
"Dumber than rocks"
"0 predator awareness"
And oh, so much more.

Well my friends - I thought so too, until I actually got silkies for myself. These are some of the most wonderful birds out there.

I’ve found them to be highly heat tolerant, wonderful mothers, having the strongest immune systems in my Bantam flock, GREAT LAYERS (that’s right folks), adorable as all get out, and more. :D

I currently have 9 silkies - and my rooster has been nothing but a gentleman to his ladies. They free range daily and I’ve not had a silkie get killed by a predator yet. My hens average 5 eggs a week - not too bad for a silkie, eh? :)

Most of the time, these silkie haters haven’t even owned the breed, but rather pretend they know everything. :lol:

So... let the fun begin! Support our silkies! :woot

Pictures always welcome. :)

Be mindful, and respect others...

Off-topic discussions are allowed, though try to maintain the subject of silkies.

-Kayla-
I love my two silkies and my silkie mix they are sweet. Can anyone tell me what colour my pullet pepper and cockrel Audrey are considered to be?
20210111_121238.jpg

20210116_211544.jpg

I love my two silkies and silkie mix they are so sweet. Can anyone tell me what color my silkies are? First is my 6m oldsilkie cockrel Audrey and the other is 6m pullet Pepper View attachment 2496478
I love my two silkies and my silkie mix they are sweet. Can anyone tell me what colour my pullet pepper and cockrel Audrey are considered to be?
View attachment 2496478
View attachment 2496476
Beautiful bird you have! First one looks to be gray and second one looks to be silver Partridge. I could be wrong though, we’ll see what others have to say! 😊

Back
Top Bottom