Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
I love your phototgraphy, and combine that with the chicks and it makes perfection! :love

Question for you silkie breeders:
How do pick chicks to keep? I know best to wait for grow outs to determine and I have had at least one ugly duckling that grew into a swan, but I need to decide at this young age. My daughter has decided on the one she likes best, hoping it is a pullet of course. She is very yellow in down like her father was, mom was more silvery down. Read here a while back that they MAY be sex linked in the white silkies.
I am trying to breed away from vaulted skulls, due to their inherent fragility with the open skull. Of these chicks that have hatched so far only 2 have the vaulted skulls. The one we want to keep does not have one, has good feathering on the second toe. Nice amount of fluff under the chin and around the neck. The usual 5 toes and black skin. Cute little round chick body. Anything else I should look for?
My current batch are all full siblings as only one of the pullets' eggs were fertile. Mom has a vaulted skull (thought she did not, but looking back at chick photos she does).
Dad does not.
Thanks!😊

Question for you silkie breeders:
How do pick chicks to keep? I know best to wait for grow outs to determine and I have had at least one ugly duckling that grew into a swan, but I need to decide at this young age. My daughter has decided on the one she likes best, hoping it is a pullet of course. She is very yellow in down like her father was, mom was more silvery down. Read here a while back that they MAY be sex linked in the white silkies.
I am trying to breed away from vaulted skulls, due to their inherent fragility with the open skull. Of these chicks that have hatched so far only 2 have the vaulted skulls. The one we want to keep does not have one, has good feathering on the second toe. Nice amount of fluff under the chin and around the neck. The usual 5 toes and black skin. Cute little round chick body. Anything else I should look for?
My current batch are all full siblings as only one of the pullets' eggs were fertile. Mom has a vaulted skull (thought she did not, but looking back at chick photos she does).
Dad does not.
Thanks!😊
The first thing is new colors. I always keep those back. The second would be if it's a hen and thirdly if it is healthy and doesn't have any irregularities.

I’ve never been so sad about not getting to keep roosters! Seeing all these cute babies and just wanting to breed my own. I’ll just have to follow along and enjoy all the pics. Thanks for sharing!
It is tricky! Our little man crows A LOT, starts at 3 am sometimes. We keep our immediate neighbors supplied in eggs, so they hopefully won't complain! We also live rural with other noises; cows, dogs, goats, landscaping equipment. Last one is the worst in my opinion. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom