Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Yes actually! I heard her story and loved it! So inspiring! Her name is pronounced Muh-law-lah but Lay-lah fits a laying hen better, don't you think? Is your Layla named after her too?
No, I just liked the name.😊
I just remembered you like to pick names with meaning, so it made sense. She is an inspiration for sure!🥰

How much do you all sell your eggs for? I sell my breeder quality silkie chicks for $5 each, and I was thinking about selling eggs for $5 a dozen?
I am planning to sell hatching eggs as soon as I can make sure the fertility is good. I think $5 is too little for a dozen eggs, when you can get $5 for a chick. I think $5 is way too little for the chicks too, though.
It all depends on your market area though as well. Are there other breeders in your area selling hatching eggs? How much are they asking for them?
I just started selling my chicks for $15 each, straight run. I have a wait list. There is only one other breeder on the Island who sells silkies of similar quality and he also asks $15. Many here selling hatchery quality for $8-10 each. I have not decided on a price yet for hatching eggs, still trying to come up with a number that people will pay here, but not too little either.
I would think you could get at least $30 a dozen for hatching eggs. I often pay $8 EACH for eggs, if they are the color, breed or other attributes I am looking for. 😊

How much do you all sell your eggs for? I sell my breeder quality silkie chicks for $5 each, and I was thinking about selling eggs for $5 a dozen?

I've been thinking about what to charge for eggs in the future too. I also sell chicks for 5 each and I'm thinking 25-30 would be reasonable for a dozen eggs. Around here silkie chicks go for 5-10 usually with some higher quality going for a bit more. I don't feel I've worked out enough of the issues in my flock to charge 10 yet so 5 seems ok for me. I'm definitely planning on charging more as I increase the overall flock quality. 10 for a chick from nice quality parents and 50-60 a dozen is pretty reasonable. Some of the best breeders often charge even more with it not being uncommon for a dozen hatching eggs to be 100 or more per dozen but they usually have many show wins to back it up and NPIP status.

I'd definitely look at your current market to decide what is reasonable there if you can. :)

I am planning to sell hatching eggs as soon as I can make sure the fertility is good. I think $5 is too little for a dozen eggs, when you can get $5 for a chick. I think $5 is way too little for the chicks too, though.
It all depends on your market area though as well. Are there other breeders in your area selling hatching eggs? How much are they asking for them?
I just started selling my chicks for $15 each, straight run. I have a wait list. There is only one other breeder on the Island who sells silkies of similar quality and he also asks $15. Many here selling hatchery quality for $8-10 each. I have not decided on a price yet for hatching eggs, still trying to come up with a number that people will pay here, but not too little either.
I would think you could get at least $30 a dozen for hatching eggs. I often pay $8 EACH for eggs, if they are the color, breed or other attributes I am looking for. 😊
I've been thinking about what to charge for eggs in the future too. I also sell chicks for 5 each and I'm thinking 25-30 would be reasonable for a dozen eggs. Around here silkie chicks go for 5-10 usually with some higher quality going for a bit more. I don't feel I've worked out enough of the issues in my flock to charge 10 yet so 5 seems ok for me. I'm definitely planning on charging more as I increase the overall flock quality. 10 for a chick from nice quality parents and 50-60 a dozen is pretty reasonable. Some of the best breeders often charge even more with it not being uncommon for a dozen hatching eggs to be 100 or more per dozen but they usually have many show wins to back it up and NPIP status.

I'd definitely look at your current market to decide what is reasonable there if you can. :)
:eek:
Woah, I'm glad I decided to ask because my $5 per dozen is definitely too low! I'll have to up it to $10 at least!

Here there are a couple other breeders, and I know one sells splash and whites for $7 per chick. Not sure what their quality level is. The local hatchery sells black and white (hatchery quality) silkies for $3.50, and as most city folks around me don't know the difference, I'm worried I might struggle if I charge more.

I have a small breeding flock this year. The dad is pretty great quality but the hens range from good to only just above hatchery quality, if that. I'm not pleased with one hen especially but because I have such a small flock, she stays for now. They are mixed colors of buff, blue, and black. Not ideal, but I'll be focusing on body shape right now.

So thank you both for your advice! It's very helpful and I'll be able to correct my costs mistakes!

I was looking at my little angels tonight... 😂 I swear they are the messiest chicks I've ever seen! Anyways, the chick with the weepy eye is still weepy. The feed store has Terramycin on backorder so I had to settle on Theracyn opthamologic gel. I've used it twice now after washing with warm water. I think the poor baby is wishing for my violent death... She is clearly not a fan of the doctoring process.

On another note, I thought my caramel colored chick was going to be a buff colored Silkie. But I noticed today that she has some gray banding on her wings,just a bit. Maybe that means she will be a partridge?
TJAnonymous how is your little one with the eye issue doing? Did the gel help her eye?

My 8 week old chick still hasn't integrated into the main flock, still on its own since the other chick died.
It was attacked by a bird today, lucky I was outside nearby and ran it off.. chick fine. But rooster did nothing, no alarm or anything! I'm guessing it was because the chick isn't part of the flock? Poor little thing :(
.. At least it's good at getting up high or into little spots to run from the others pecking it ..
View attachment 2573294
How is your solitaire youngster doing, ForTheLoveOfSilkies?

Back
Top Bottom