Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I'll have to get some better pics today, this is Easter a few days ago.. thicker legs then usual pullet would have 😬 maybe I'm thinking it's a cockerel 😩
View attachment 2724606
Oooooohhh look at those pretty earlobes!!! Im still hoping she's a she!! Looks like Easter and Freedom could be besties !! 🥰

One of my grow out girls, Freedom, at about four months!

She looks almost exactly like her mother, Skye Bloo, but is a bit fluffier. She does not have the best crest or fluff, but I will keep her because she has the light blue coloring I want more of!

Sorry for the unnatural glow, I have been experimenting with Lightroom.

View attachment 2724149
This makes me melt. Can't wait to have silkies again! Although my wish list is hitting chicken math calculations... ill need more land!

I'll have to get some better pics today, this is Easter a few days ago.. thicker legs then usual pullet would have 😬 maybe I'm thinking it's a cockerel 😩
View attachment 2724606

.. So I see some red leakage on him/her, tiny bit on head and wings.. does this indicate more likely cockerel? Hard to see in pics...

IMG_20210619_115246~2.jpg
IMG_20210619_114926~2.jpg
IMG_20210619_110136~2.jpg

I had 2 silkies recently but they got MG with the rest of my flock. :(
I’m happy to say though, 2 weeks ago yesterday I got my first bantam flock, and amongst all the bantams there are 3 wonderful silkies! The are so adorable! D0DE027C-C76E-4D57-A3AC-F15AF2A862D9.jpeg
2ACAD1DE-9C2A-4291-BA52-22DE5FF9400D.jpeg
8CCBCE1B-B36B-4BA5-BAC1-EC49E0331276.jpeg

Don’t mind the goose (Donald) he’s living with them because his gosling buddy sadly passed last weekend because of my dog. :( Donald is so nice and gentle with them though and they look to him for protection.

Attachments

• 1D1E8C9B-5918-410E-AD91-BD364FE894DC.jpeg
    1D1E8C9B-5918-410E-AD91-BD364FE894DC.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 3
Hey!
I have a question.
How do silkies get red combs/wattles?
How do they get singles?
The single comb is a recessive trait that pops up in silkies now and then, commonly seen in hatchery birds, though I have had two cockerels now that have had a single comb and both came from reputable breeder's eggs.
The more red combs and wattles that sometimes is seen, especially in cuckoo and paint colored birds, goes back to when other breeds were used to create these colors. Serious breeders are trying to keep the proper mulberry colored walnut combs. Though I have used my single combed rooster for breeding as all of his other qualities outweighed this. All of his chicks had walnut combs, as he was bred to walnut combed hens.
His offspring have a chance of throwing single combs if they are bred to a single combed bird or another bird that carries the gene.
More red combs can also be seen in dominant white birds (used to create paints) which is more uncommon than the recessive whites.
Hope this clarifies things a bit. Hopefully others will also chime in.😊

I’m happy to say though, 2 weeks ago yesterday I got my first bantam flock, and amongst all the bantams there are 3 wonderful silkies! The are so adorable! View attachment 2729824
View attachment 2729828
View attachment 2729827

Don’t mind the goose (Donald) he’s living with them because his gosling buddy sadly passed last weekend because of my dog. :( Donald is so nice and gentle with them though and they look to him for protection.
Beautiful chicks and I love Donald!🥰
Sorry about Donald's buddy.

I’m happy to say though, 2 weeks ago yesterday I got my first bantam flock, and amongst all the bantams there are 3 wonderful silkies! The are so adorable! View attachment 2729824
View attachment 2729828
View attachment 2729827

Families come in all shapes and sizes!

Back
Top Bottom