Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
He is gorgeous!
I remember the picture of your hen you posted - to me her color looked like mother-of-pearl.
20210801_120130.jpg

Would love to see updated photos of your little flock! Do you know how many pullets/cockerels you ended up with? 🥰
Ok I will take some current pictures 😊
...Since Friday I know Babette is a boy - my mom's best friend came over and when she walked to the little ones Babette suddenly started crowing and crowed and crowed! He only stopped after eight or nine crows. My mom hardly could handle this news, asking several times if it wasn't possible that she (!) was imitating the cockerells... I was really surprised, too. I always thought Babette was kind of a masculine pullet - the biggest and heaviest from the girls (haha - well no), with longer legs ('her' posture always reminded me of Snowman, especially from behind). But from behaviour Babette was always different than the boys. Always likes to be taken and even insists on it, likes to sit on one's arm, is very talkative (always talks with "tiiiiiii"-sounds). Got in trouble with the cockerells like the other girls. Sumissive towards Sindbad and Snowman.
The fluffiest crest from all, and very round crest (nickname: Dandelion).

But retrospective I should have known. My observance is that the boys and the girls feel very different when taken up with both hands - the boys are very heavy and their body is firm, the thights muscular; the girls are lighter and their body is soft, thights completely inconspicuous. I often said to my parents that Babette feels like a boy when taken up. But I focused completely on 'her' behaviour and dandelion-crest 😅

...So (currently? ...more surprises to come?) I do have 5 cockerells: Sindbad, Snowman, Maku, James - and Babette, now called Kasimir, and 6 girls: Roberta, Violetta, Teddy, Brioche, Schorschette and Mirabelle. And I think/know my beloved Herzchen was a little girl.

Here my little dandelion Kasimir (pictures from July 24):

RIMG1458.JPG

RIMG1439.JPG

My little silkies have been acting like the blind leading the blind lately. My bearded ones that can't see hardly anything like to jump into something they can get stuck in/behind and if one goes, they all go... They can get out, but since they can't see, they don't try to often...
How old are your little ones? Are you going to trim their crests?
Mine are 4 months old now and there are still new feathers growing in their crests, so I'm wondering when it is ok to trim (my little Schorschette seems to have difficulties seeing little things on the ground - she often pecks in the wrong place when she wants to take something; she is bearded, too)

Back
Top Bottom