Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Just because you know I love posting photos and this is a good one, this is Estella with Fiona, my Shetland Hen and Hikari, the silkie/Ameraucana cross.😊
FFD73494-E006-412D-8144-9F0725B776E5.jpeg

Hanabi laid her first egg today!😍
Little tiny thing appropriate for her size or may just be a first pullet egg size.
Photo next to my EE and my Leghorn crosses eggs for size comparison!
It’s a bit smaller and a bit more brown than the silkie’s eggs.😊View attachment 2840759
Aww well done hanabi!

Depends on how big of a flock. I usually have 5 hens and a rooster in a pen. I leave broodies in those. Everyone will help keep chicks warm at night. Roosters can be very helpful.

If there are a lot of teens, it's best to move them. Teens are too rambunctious and confuse chicks sometimes. I move those hens. Or the teens depending on age.
I have a flock of 5- 1 roo and 4 hens. They're all laying. (Except for the roo of course!😂😂)

Congratulations to everyone getting first eggs! 😁

Thanks! The little black pullet was making quite a ruckus this morning and clucking, so I think she may be older than I thought she was. Her tail is pretty fluffy and developed but she’s very tiny. The two partridge are still making chick sounds.

Your project birds are so gorgeous and fluffy!😍 Love the red pyle in the pullet. These are hard to find. Hoping to get some fun colors with Eko.
You always describe colors so well and are so thorough in your explanations. I appreciate it!
Your photos and explanations of the vaulted versus non-vaulted skulls are excellent and you can easily turn this post into an article about it. I think it would be useful for many people.😊

Amai has been laying for about three weeks now, her eggs are on the small size but I think that might be just the size egg that she lays. Tempted to try to incubate some as Eko has been mating her quite frequently, I think she’s his favorite! Kinoko as well, tempted to try to hatch some of hers, too. Weighing pros and cons of incubating pullet eggs as I’ve had mixed results with these in the past.
Love the paint colored silkie/polish crosses.!🥰

Thank you! It's been fun playing around with some colors other than paint. I bet you'll get some neat colors from Eko along with paint too! I'm sure the paint silkie/polish are adorable! 🥰

Good luck with the pullet eggs if you decide to hatch some! I've mostly had good luck with them myself. :)

If it would be helpful I'd be happy to make the portion on vaults in my post into an article. I'll have to see about putting it together sometime soon. 😁

Back
Top Bottom