Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Hey silkie lovers- I'm building a coop for my flock of four birds, which includes one silkie, and a little worried from reading some posts that they won't use a ramp- the henhouse is 3 feet high. Wondering what everyone's experience is, and looking for other tips. I posted a new thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-coop-ramp-and-other-considerations.1498442
Mine also use their ramp! And they use the nest box that is in the upstairs coop. This is the ramp they use and they sleep on the roost bars with the big chickens :)

Attachments

• 02614E1D-7D7E-4A78-84A5-F442FC0CB2F0.jpeg
    02614E1D-7D7E-4A78-84A5-F442FC0CB2F0.jpeg
    873.2 KB · Views: 1
Question for everyone since this is my first time with silkies. At what age in general do your pullets begin laying? My 3 silkies are 5 months November 5 and I am really not expecting eggs until the spring. That being said I've started noticing that in the last few days Branch has been trying to breed Lil Bit. She does not let him yet, but I'm now watching their interactions closely to see if and when she accepts him. In my other birds I've noticed that once the pullet allows the rooster to breed them I normally get that first egg in about a week.
Mine just turned 7 months and I got my first egg two days ago! They were being harassed by the cockerel for almost 3 weeks before the first egg. So yours may be getting close! :)

Mine also use their ramp! And they use the nest box that is in the upstairs coop. This is the ramp they use and they sleep on the roost bars with the big chickens :)
Thank you, feeling better now, that's around the angle we'd have to put it at. I really think she'll learn from following the others but was getting paranoid after reading a few accounts.

Speaking of eggs—I found a second one in the nest box yesterday and it looks to me like a different color—I know early eggs are a bit unpredictable in their appearance but wondering if this could be the other silkie’s egg? Could I have both laying at the same time?? 😁😁😁

Attachments

• 5FAC3B06-215F-46FB-B0A3-801A3101AB37.jpeg
    5FAC3B06-215F-46FB-B0A3-801A3101AB37.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 1
Speaking of eggs—I found a second one in the nest box yesterday and it looks to me like a different color—I know early eggs are a bit unpredictable in their appearance but wondering if this could be the other silkie’s egg? Could I have both laying at the same time?? 😁😁😁
Yes they can both be from the silkies. Likely you have two layers!😊

For 6 months old there's not much comb on any so maybe you do have all girls! Or just the line they came from doesn't have large combs for boys /very slow developing :oops:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :fl maybe a couple of eggs soon!
You make a very good point! I'm going to contact the breeders I got the eggs and see if I can get photos of the parents combs. I had even thought of that.

Hey silkie lovers- I'm building a coop for my flock of four birds, which includes one silkie, and a little worried from reading some posts that they won't use a ramp- the henhouse is 3 feet high. Wondering what everyone's experience is, and looking for other tips. I posted a new thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-coop-ramp-and-other-considerations.1498442
Mine are all fine with ramps though some will just jump fly up or down and skip the ramp mostly they use them. It helps if you start when their chicks but my older ones had no problem when I first put them up they worked out where to go the first night..

IMG_20211007_115017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom