Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Wow that's a long steep ramp! I guess they had to adjust to go with the big chickens or get left behind 😁
I know, right? I had plans to set up a ground level nest box and maybe a lower level roost bar too…but they wanna be big chickens 😄 The tiniest one was the first to be up on the roost bar with the big rooster boy too hehe. They’re such funny little chickens 😍

Another mis-aligned beak chick in the same hatch!! I saw it being trampled and pecked by another hen then noticed beak is not lined up, could this hen cause crossbeak in my 2 chicks!? Mother hen didn't fight back, she is now one I won't allow to hatch more or in future will have to stay separate till chicks can care for themselves.

IMG_20211025_120254.jpg

They can start laying anywhere from 5 months on. I had one start at 6 months, but most of mine start around 7-8 months. The same age boys will be sexually mature before the girls, usually.
The pullets will normally start squatting when you go to pick them up, this can be a first sign. 😊

I didn't know males matured quicker. That makes me feel a bit better. I have a male & female hatched at the end of May. He has been crowing (and apparently fertilizing eggs) for a few weeks now while she isn't even squatting and has shown no interest in the nest box. Maybe she will lay one day. 😆

Another mis-aligned beak chick in the same hatch!! I saw it being trampled and pecked by another hen then noticed beak is not lined up, could this hen cause crossbeak in my 2 chicks!? Mother hen didn't fight back, she is now one I won't allow to hatch more or in future will have to stay separate till chicks can care for themselves.
Sorry to read this. 🙁 Most likely a genetic/incubation issue. I do not think pecking would cause it. Cross beak tends to become more evident with time, so you probably just did not notice it before now.

This week-end hatched 9/10.
6 Silkies, 3 Polkies. 2 black silkies this time.😊
One of the paint Silkies has a lot of black markings already.
One of the black Polkies has some white down on the crest. Wonder if they will feather in white there, too. Throw back to Polish grandma!😊View attachment 2877597View attachment 2877599View attachment 2877598View attachment 2877596
Hehe, I love the one in the first pic with the big black dot on her back. She looks like she already knows she is going to be a fancy floofer! SOO cute! :)

Sorry to read this. 🙁 Most likely a genetic/incubation issue. I do not think pecking would cause it. Cross beak tends to become more evident with time, so you probably just did not notice it before now.
Could both be from the cold 2 eggs or could be from Smokey / Biscuit?? If I see crossbeak in the other 3 Puff is looking after or more I hatch later then it may be Biscuit genetics? If not maybe Smokey?

Back
Top Bottom