Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Congrats! 🤣 He is. They do occasionally fight but it's gentle.... But one of them (Teddy) hates my Wyandotte rooster. And he wasn't kind to him😬
Better pic of what is left of my boys wattles😔

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_144254.jpg
    IMG_20220120_144254.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 1
What do you guys think of integrating the chicks sooner rather than later?

They are 7 weeks old now, the silkies are teeenie tiny.. polish are approaching the size of the D'uccles. I would of course remove Elsa, so it would just be minnie and daisy, the 2 D'uccles.. who are very mellow, and Esmeralda, who tries to peck me when she's upset...and it feels like someone took a cotton swab to my hand. I was thinking of maybe starting look but don't touch this Thursday, once our day of rain passes.

Think the silkies need more time to grow, or will they be fine? Temps will be around 40 at night (i cover them with a couple blankets) and 60s during the day. Cloudy mornings, sunny late afternoons.
I'd say the look and don't touch method from early on as possible. You'll know if they are too cold if huddling up together not active as they usually are spread out. At 7 weeks they should be fine I would think.

Im so sorry :hugs just make things as humane as possible.. perhaps cull at night while they are sleepy. Have you tried mewe? A lot of pet sales/rehoming have moved there with the difficulties of listing on facebook and Craigslist. Can you also reach out to your local animal shelter? I have seen horses, pigs, rabbits, peacocks!! And that's in the city!
Never heard of mewe... I will look. Sadly we don't have an animal shelter. The county requested a millage from the voters which was approved but then spent the money on the sheriffs department instead. Caused a ruckus... But still no animal shelter

Never heard of mewe... I will look. Sadly we don't have an animal shelter. The county requested a millage from the voters which was approved but then spent the money on the sheriffs department instead. Caused a ruckus... But still no animal shelter
Mewe is a group platform similar to facebook, but without all the rules. A lot of people do animal and hobby sales on it. I've used it in 2 states.

I'd say the look and don't touch method from early on as possible. You'll know if they are too cold if huddling up together not active as they usually are spread out. At 7 weeks they should be fine I would think.
Ok.. rain will now be Monday, and clear after that. I'll move the entire bunny hutch to the end of the new run on Tuesday. Need to make my life easier asap 🤣

My fantasies that one of the crazy hair tolbunts will be female are just about (but not completely) gone. Honestly, their crest feathers are very pointy instead of round. They have until coop integration day to prove me wrong 🤣

The little polkie.. still has me wondering, but I'll pretend she's a she as well!!

What do you guys think of integrating the chicks sooner rather than later?

They are 7 weeks old now, the silkies are teeenie tiny.. polish are approaching the size of the D'uccles. I would of course remove Elsa, so it would just be minnie and daisy, the 2 D'uccles.. who are very mellow, and Esmeralda, who tries to peck me when she's upset...and it feels like someone took a cotton swab to my hand. I was thinking of maybe starting look but don't touch this Thursday, once our day of rain passes.

Think the silkies need more time to grow, or will they be fine? Temps will be around 40 at night (i cover them with a couple blankets) and 60s during the day. Cloudy mornings, sunny late afternoons.
I began integration when they were bout 4-5 weeks old...satin and silkies and they were fully feathered. There's been a couple instances but no blood and even Mango seems to be adjusting really well!
I havent integrated them into the same coop at night yet...but during the day they are all together and it's in the teens here!

Himawari, my recessive white silkie hatched last May, apparently has started laying! I have never seen her anywhere near the nest boxes and I have never seen Eko mate with her. She still acts like a little kid, she’s such a goofball, definitely follows the beat of her own drum and though she is part of the flock she is very individual still. Her eggs and Amai’s look almost identical so I didn’t know she was laying until I got three eggs in one day from the Silkies instead of two!!
The other two Silkie girls are broody and their eggs look very different.
So looks like I have eggs from her in the incubator that are developing as well.😊
Be interesting to see what comes of that mix.
4D42FB53-E5EE-43F3-969A-E6774DEE7C3F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom