Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
My baby cockrel began crowing at 4 weeks old! I didn't even know that was possible with a silkie!!! He's 9 weeks old now and he literally is challenging Mango my 9 month old cockrel this morning in the freezing cold! Poor lil Joey sounds more like he's trying to clear his throat than crow but he's giving it all he's got at this point!
I also have another cockrel in the last batch that's 9 weeks old but he isn't crowing ...much milder unless Joey boas up on him then he stands his ground!

This is not silkie related...

Chicken Soap with Nuts said...​

My hens haven't been laying since molt. One was broody (Esmerelda-blackstar) and then went through molt, the other (Rosalie-red star) went through a hard molt a few weeks later. Rosalie is 4 1/2 and Esmerelda is 3 1/2. We've been feeding medicated chick feed since the chicks are in there with them. They do have layer feed in a treadle feeder that was leftover, but they really hate the treadle feeder and they prefer to eat the chick's feed and don't ever go for the layer feed. The chicks are about 15 or 16 weeks. I gave both hens some calcium treats today after I found the first egg in a while. I'm not sure which hen it was. Rosalie tends to have weak shells and needs vitamin d supplementation with her calcium while laying, but her comb isn't red and Esmerelda's is, so, not sure who it was. Esmerelda has some white poop stuck to her butt. The egg was covered in poop and there was a thick piece of eggshell, maybe about 1 cm wide on the egg. sorry, didn't take a pic before I tossed it. It concerns me that one of the hens might have a broken egg inside of her. What do I need to watch out for and is it too late for her, whichever one she is?

My baby cockrel began crowing at 4 weeks old! I didn't even know that was possible with a silkie!!! He's 9 weeks old now and he literally is challenging Mango my 9 month old cockrel this morning in the freezing cold! Poor lil Joey sounds more like he's trying to clear his throat than crow but he's giving it all he's got at this point!
I also have another cockrel in the last batch that's 9 weeks old but he isn't crowing ...much milder unless Joey boas up on him then he stands his ground!
Mine started at 3 months haha! They sure do do it early dont they? Cute little things!

My silkies! and one polish hen!
Caramel #3 (2).JPG
Silkies drinking #1.JPG
Queen-E.JPG
Silkies#2.JPG
Silkie coop.JPG

This is not silkie related...

Chicken Soap with Nuts said...​

My hens haven't been laying since molt. One was broody (Esmerelda-blackstar) and then went through molt, the other (Rosalie-red star) went through a hard molt a few weeks later. Rosalie is 4 1/2 and Esmerelda is 3 1/2. We've been feeding medicated chick feed since the chicks are in there with them. They do have layer feed in a treadle feeder that was leftover, but they really hate the treadle feeder and they prefer to eat the chick's feed and don't ever go for the layer feed. The chicks are about 15 or 16 weeks. I gave both hens some calcium treats today after I found the first egg in a while. I'm not sure which hen it was. Rosalie tends to have weak shells and needs vitamin d supplementation with her calcium while laying, but her comb isn't red and Esmerelda's is, so, not sure who it was. Esmerelda has some white poop stuck to her butt. The egg was covered in poop and there was a thick piece of eggshell, maybe about 1 cm wide on the egg. sorry, didn't take a pic before I tossed it. It concerns me that one of the hens might have a broken egg inside of her. What do I need to watch out for and is it too late for her, whichever one she is?
There is an emergencies thread that can help with these types of issues.. click on the menu button, then forums, and you'll see it listed there. ❤ i haven't personally had chickens experience this, Epsom salt bath is the first thing i can think of, then seeing if i can feel any egg shell. But I'd make a post for urgent issues.

There is an emergencies thread that can help with these types of issues.. click on the menu button, then forums, and you'll see it listed there. ❤ i haven't personally had chickens experience this, Epsom salt bath is the first thing i can think of, then seeing if i can feel any egg shell. But I'd make a post for urgent issues.
Thank you but no-one replied when @Chicken Soap with Nuts posted on the emergencies place.

Back
Top Bottom