Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I'm curious how much coop space you all use for silkies?? Obviously more is better than less...but do you get away with smaller space with silkies versus other bantams like cochins and Wyandottes (my bantam cochins are at least half a size bigger than my silkies)? I am getting a coop to dedicate towards bantams, so they have more space with chickens their own size...and so I am redoing all the sq footage math. I know they say 1-2 sq ft for bantams...but do you go closer to 1 or always go higher? Just curious! :) Also another question, if they really only ever spend time in the coop for sleeping...should I bother to move the bantam cochins to the bantam coop? They sleep way up in the top rafter of the coop and I'm not sure they will like having to roost down low again. I know it's for those times when they are forced to stay inside all day for days...but where I live in CA, that really is pretty rare if at all. Last year it happened maybe 5 times all year that they stayed in for more than a day in a row. Anyway, thanks!
My lazy bones chickens seem to be hanging out and playing in the coop more than the run, although its open all day. Its attached to the fully enclosed run, so i am just counting all of the square footage as "run" space. I notice the D'uccles want to stay up high, even during the day, so im adding some perches and a swing to the run area. I have 92 sq ft total available, which looks like 4 sq ft total less than recommended based on the website chart. But they seem to pair off in their own "areas", so there's still lots of unused space.

I count the same amount of needed space for all the bantams, fluffier or skinnier.. very few of them push the upper bantam weight limit, but i notice no one likes their feathers accidentally bumped into 🤣

My lazy bones chickens seem to be hanging out and playing in the coop more than the run, although its open all day. Its attached to the fully enclosed run, so i am just counting all of the square footage as "run" space. I notice the D'uccles want to stay up high, even during the day, so im adding some perches and a swing to the run area. I have 92 sq ft total available, which looks like 4 sq ft total less than recommended based on the website chart. But they seem to pair off in their own "areas", so there's still lots of unused space.

I count the same amount of needed space for all the bantams, fluffier or skinnier.. very few of them push the upper bantam weight limit, but i notice no one likes their feathers accidentally bumped into 🤣
I think if one installs different heights like for example a small table its surface can be added to the given space, like ForTheLoveOfSilkies wrote about the shelves.
I plan to do this (use a small table) in the run of my boygroup to create more space and more alternatives.

Yes, bantam is bantam 😁

I think if one installs different heights like for example a small table its surface can be added to the given space, like ForTheLoveOfSilkies wrote about the shelves.
I plan to do this (use a small table) in the run of my boygroup to create more space and more alternatives.

Yes, bantam is bantam 😁
I might do this and add an outside nestbox (outside of the coop). Esmeralda doesn't want in the coop at all, and her couple eggs shes laid have been on the sand. It'll give her another option and keep the egg clean. Of course once i do that, all the others will want to use it too 😆

So... interesting... i was just observing the chicks, and i can see iridescent green pointy saddle feathers on only one of the tolbunts... and zero iridescence on the other two.. i think i might have a chance at 2 instead of just one tolbunt pullets!! 😍

Oh good!! Hopefully this will be the case w mine. I *think* ill have one LF polish roo and a bantam silkie roo.
My polish rooster was sweet to me but mean and very aggressive with the girls. They were hatchmates and I was told he was bantam and he was NOT...I'm very thankful I found him a wonderful home!
I hope you have better luck with your polish roo

Chicks have all internally pipped! Two of them decided to pip backwards and upside down! 🤦‍♀️

One seems to have turned around and is now pipping in the right place. Have safety holes in all of them and watching closely the one that is trying to come out backwards. May need to be assisted. It is chirping now and then so seems to be doing OK so far. Still needs to absorb the blood vessels. Looks like it is either paint or white, I see some yellow feathers. This is one of Himawari’s pullet eggs!🥰

Oh how exciting! I hope they all make it out without any trouble for you! I can't wait to see pictures once they are out!!! :love

My polish rooster was sweet to me but mean and very aggressive with the girls. They were hatchmates and I was told he was bantam and he was NOT...I'm very thankful I found him a wonderful home!
I hope you have better luck with your polish roo
Yea.. im hoping itll work out, but ive heard enough about crazy polish roos to not be surprised if it doesn't. I hope the silkie roo works out at least!

I went out to look at that "maybe" female tolbunt.. it really has me for a loop.. it has similarities and differences to both the obvious male and female tolbunts. Everyone is put away for the night, but ill take pics of it tomorrow. Its like the crest feathers look very feminine and round, but the feathers have only grown in on one side of its head! So its difficult to say if its just crazy hair, or missing hair! 💇‍♀️

Yea.. im hoping itll work out, but ive heard enough about crazy polish roos to not be surprised if it doesn't. I hope the silkie roo works out at least!

I went out to look at that "maybe" female tolbunt.. it really has me for a loop.. it has similarities and differences to both the obvious male and female tolbunts. Everyone is put away for the night, but ill take pics of it tomorrow. Its like the crest feathers look very feminine and round, but the feathers have only grown in on one side of its head! So its difficult to say if its just crazy hair, or missing hair! 💇‍♀️
Why do some of them torture us by feathering out weird?? It's so annoying! :D

Well there will only be 7 ladies, but all bantams except for my two polish girls. So.. im wondering how calm the male polish might be around bantam hens.. are LF roos even interested in bantam hens? I also don't want injuries.

The lady who i got the tolbunts from has a LF Tolbunt roo, and she said hes so sweet, she even has to go out to hold him at night if he gets scared. 🥰

bantam roos are mean to LF roos. they can even kill them. I have heard of it many times.

Back
Top Bottom