Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Well Elsa is enjoying her first morning free in the yard.. she's been dust bathing for about an hour! She isn't wandering like i thought she would, she's sticking close to the run with the others. I put her food and water out, but there are so many bugs, she's excitedly picking away!

Id love to have Barney out w her for protection, but she drops her wings low and her hackles go up and she does a karate attack whenever she sees him. :confused:

But i was thinking.. if she is splash, which technically is diluted black, if they were to mate, would i still have pretty paint chicks? 🤔 I'm assuming id get 50% black, 50% paint.

View attachment 3115816View attachment 3115824

Since she is splash if you had Barney with her you'll get blues and blue based paints since she will pass one copy of blue to all her offspring (splash being homozygous blue). :)

Yes! Here's the moms and dad. It's actually really cool that they're hatching their own eggs!

Aww such cuties! I hope you get a great hatch! 🥰

how can you tell if a silkie has a cold.

Respiratory symptoms in silkies should be pretty much the same as in other poultry. Sneezing/congestion, rattly breathing, and goopy/bubbly eyes can all by symptoms. Chickens don't really get colds the same way we do but there are a lot of issues/diseases that can cause some respiratory symptoms. It can be hard to figure out the exact cause without tests.

Got myself some more LF Silkies. Grabbed a few for a friend too, yesterday.
20220519_143058.jpg

my girls don't want to mate. I am getting a few infertile eggs. my boys are young (about 10 and 6 mo). I have 4 1 yo hens and 5-6 mo pullets. any idea?
Did they grow up together? Some of my hens refuse some roosters and other roosters I've had they accept. And one rooster I had lost his fertility but still mated 🤷 Yours would be the right age for mating so it is strange you don't have fertile eggs. Have you watched their behavior towards each other? Does your boys show the girls food?/treats to intice them?

@AngBantamLuv Elsa is gorgeous! She sounds like a unique bantam Cochin 😆 I have 3 hens and a roo and they are mostly the opposite of Elsa! They are easy going and easily frightened…unless they are broody and then my sweetest one Polly Pocket gets mean! She even started a fight with Molly because she didn’t want to share the baby they hatched together! She was shockingly protective and I just couldn’t believe meek little Polly had it in her 😳 I ended up having to remove her and put her back in general population because I was worried they’d crush the baby in their fighting. She was POd and walked around clucking while puffed up and her wings were out. I’d swear she was saying—Go ahead, TRY to mess with me right now! 😆 Molly is a much more chill momma and baby is doing great! :) I wish mine looked like Elsa! I just love splash coloring! 😍

So next week is the county fair, and we will be showing Sia and Cher. It’s been tough getting my DD to practice and work with them up till now (8 year old attention spans) but tonight I showed her a video of what she will be doing and told her she had to start bringing one or both of them inside in the evening to work with them. So tonight was Cher’s turn…they were playing “hotel” and Cher was visiting the different rooms and going up and down the “elevator” with them…they have the patience of Saints 😆😆 She looks like she’s enjoying playing hotel, no? Hahaha.
5D8345FF-FE63-44C7-B7E4-DC8D35D9CCDE.jpeg

@AngBantamLuv Elsa is gorgeous! She sounds like a unique bantam Cochin 😆 I have 3 hens and a roo and they are mostly the opposite of Elsa! They are easy going and easily frightened…unless they are broody and then my sweetest one Polly Pocket gets mean! She even started a fight with Molly because she didn’t want to share the baby they hatched together! She was shockingly protective and I just couldn’t believe meek little Polly had it in her 😳 I ended up having to remove her and put her back in general population because I was worried they’d crush the baby in their fighting. She was POd and walked around clucking while puffed up and her wings were out. I’d swear she was saying—Go ahead, TRY to mess with me right now! 😆 Molly is a much more chill momma and baby is doing great! :) I wish mine looked like Elsa! I just love splash coloring! 😍

So next week is the county fair, and we will be showing Sia and Cher. It’s been tough getting my DD to practice and work with them up till now (8 year old attention spans) but tonight I showed her a video of what she will be doing and told her she had to start bringing one or both of them inside in the evening to work with them. So tonight was Cher’s turn…they were playing “hotel” and Cher was visiting the different rooms and going up and down the “elevator” with them…they have the patience of Saints 😆😆 She looks like she’s enjoying playing hotel, no? Hahaha.View attachment 3117065
Oh that looks like she's living it up in luxury 🥰 Cher is such a cute fluffball! Good luck in the fair!!

So next week is the county fair, and we will be showing Sia and Cher. It’s been tough getting my DD to practice and work with them up till now (8 year old attention spans) but tonight I showed her a video of what she will be doing and told her she had to start bringing one or both of them inside in the evening to work with them. So tonight was Cher’s turn…they were playing “hotel” and Cher was visiting the different rooms and going up and down the “elevator” with them…they have the patience of Saints 😆😆 She looks like she’s enjoying playing hotel, no? Hahaha.View attachment 3117065
Omg that chicken.. looks like shes saying.. ahhhhh this is the life ⛱

Well poor elsa was clucking and screaming and running and exhausting herself yesterday... for her second day out, shes decided waiting by the back door will win her more points. Probably will..... BUT now she's charging at my tiny dogs 🥺

Ill see how a bath and diaper gets her feeling..
20220521_080804.jpg

Oh.. also she laid an egg last night around 8, and then she laid a new one around 7 this morning. Not enough time for shell development, so it was like a rubber egg. Hopefully she'll be less stressed today.

Omg that chicken.. looks like shes saying.. ahhhhh this is the life ⛱

Well poor elsa was clucking and screaming and running and exhausting herself yesterday... for her second day out, shes decided waiting by the back door will win her more points. Probably will..... BUT now she's charging at my tiny dogs 🥺

Ill see how a bath and diaper gets her feeling..
View attachment 3117208

Oh.. also she laid an egg last night around 8, and then she laid a new one around 7 this morning. Not enough time for shell development, so it was like a rubber egg. Hopefully she'll be less stressed today.
Poor Elsa! It sounds like she could use a relaxing spa day :) I hope laying the second egg helped! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom