Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Definitely!!!
The way Lizzy was doin week or so ago I think she was definitely pre-broody if that's even a thing! Cause she's all back to normal now!
Though she and Daisy have still not laid an egg that I have found and they are 6 months old Wednesday!
I can't believe you and @kurby22 are doing more babies! Yall are making me wanna!!!

So....ya know how I've been on and off bout trying to do a breeding project for Satins?
Well don't ya know Lauren Taylor THE Satin n Silkie queen (in my book) said that Lizzie is perfect for a mille fleur project breeding!!!
I'm so conflicted bout what to do now!!!
I technically have 5 girls that would be good for both the mille fleur and porcelain breeding projects!
None of my boys are right though...
And the person going to get Joey isn't responding now. I luv that turd but every single time I go in the run it's a thing with him hackling up and getting my legs.
Bluey is so scared of his own shadow, literally. And Coco is just too stinkin cute for anything!
But they aren't right colors at all for either project.

Any words of wisdom from yall?! I admire yall so much in the different breeds and numbers of babies yall have!
I realize I need to keep it at 10...12 is a couple too many for me I think.
I too feel it really is hard to make up my mind to what I want to do and what my goals are. So I totally understand your dilemma. I am sticking with the pure Silkies and just having a few standard hens for eggs. Decided that if I want to be serious about this I need some new bloodlines. Though I don’t seem to have any trouble selling the chicks that I am currently hatching.
I currently have one Silkie rooster and six females including Kai. Three of them are Eko’s daughters, Kai, Lilikoi and Niko. He contributes a lot to my program with his super fluffiness, his coloring and his absolutely perfect walnut comb and great feet. He has been throwing some lovely chicks but he also throws some that are leggy, too. These shipped eggs are from a show breeder who says all of her breeding stock are show quality. This does not of course guarantee that the chicks are show quality, but I’m hoping I will get some that I can use. 😊

As others have stated slight cross beak can be incubator or malposition related and not necessarily genetic. You can hatch some chicks from her and see what she produces. If she does throw chicks with the cross beak then you’ll know more than you do now and you can sell them as pet quality birds if the cross beak is not severe.
If one of the experts in Satins is advising you that Lizzie would be a good candidate, then go for it!🥰

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
@Gammas Bearded Babies, you also have to decide what you want to prioritize. If you only have room for 10 to 12 birds and you really want to do a Satin breeding program, then the ones that you can’t use in your breeding program need to go. This can be difficult if they are pets and you love them.🥰
I am test breeding Lilikoi and Niko now. Lilikoi is a sweetheart and definitely considered a pet, Niko I’m not as attached to. Though if their chicks are not up to par I may decide to sell them as a sister pair to a pet home. I’ll have to wait and see what happens.😊

I too feel it really is hard to make up my mind to what I want to do and what my goals are. So I totally understand your dilemma. I am sticking with the pure Silkies and just having a few standard hens for eggs. Decided that if I want to be serious about this I need some new bloodlines. Though I don’t seem to have any trouble selling the chicks that I am currently hatching.
I currently have one Silkie rooster and six females including Kai. Three of them are Eko’s daughters, Kai, Lilikoi and Niko. He contributes a lot to my program with his super fluffiness, his coloring and his absolutely perfect walnut comb and great feet. He has been throwing some lovely chicks but he also throws some that are leggy, too. These shipped eggs are from a show breeder who says all of her breeding stock are show quality. This does not of course guarantee that the chicks are show quality, but I’m hoping I will get some that I can use. 😊

As others have stated slight cross beak can be incubator or malposition related and not necessarily genetic. You can hatch some chicks from her and see what she produces. If she does throw chicks with the cross beak then you’ll know more than you do now and you can sell them as pet quality birds if the cross beak is not severe.
If one of the experts in Satins is advising you that Lizzie would be a good candidate, then go for it!🥰

Edited for clarity.
You think Lizzy may have a slight cross beak? When her beak is closed it looks like the below attachment.
I didn't get any responses so wasn't sure if it's that or just needs filing?

I definitely LUV Satins! The variations of colors you can get with them is beyond what you can get with Silkies. But I luv Silkies too...would luv to create own Satins from Cochin and Silkie and since I have both now that is possible.
But then I get more on my plate LOL!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926-160321_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926-160321_Photos.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 4
You think Lizzy may have a slight cross beak? When her beak is closed it looks like the below attachment.
I didn't get any responses so wasn't sure if it's that or just needs filing?

I definitely LUV Satins! The variations of colors you can get with them is beyond what you can get with Silkies. But I luv Silkies too...would luv to create own Satins from Cochin and Silkie and since I have both now that is possible.
But then I get more on my plate LOL!

Just looks overgown to me. Course file or quick snip with nail clippers.
Leave a little white showing past the quick

Thanks! I really hope I get a few to hatch but I don’t want to get my hopes up too much. Yes I’m on the October hatch long which I started a bit ago. Please join us!🥰
I have some of my own eggs on this as well. I have a set that are on day 15 and a set that are on day 8 and then these new shipped eggs on day 2. I just ordered another NR360 off Amazon.:oops:

I love the Olandsk Dwarfs, they are so cute and colorful.😍 I was thinking about getting some. We actually have a breeder here on Island that has some and of course got his stock from Green Fire.
Where are you able to get them that are not sourced from Green Fire?
I was thinking about getting some 55 Flowery hens from GF, these are also interesting birds from Sweden, created among other breeds from leghorns and are excellent layers. Another breed from Martin Silverudd. Next time I need laying hens I think I’m going that route.😊
Ohh you should try them out, they are entertaining! They are definitely independent, so very low maintenance which I appreciate and their roosters are very good boys. I think most ODs come from the Greenfire lines, but my hope is to infuse a more distant lineage at least! :D Everyone here got theirs from the same lady and her flock...so they are all F1/F2 related. There is a lady on here that lives down in AZ that inherited a flock from a friend that sadly passed away, and we tried exchanging shipped eggs back in June, but AZ to CA in summer was NOT successful and all the eggs were duds for both ends even when they arrived within 2 days. I think we will try again in Feb/March when temps are much more moderate and they won't bake in mail trucks! I am taking a break from hatching anything until spring though...I need my living room back haha. I love that you will have another 360 :D

55 Flowery Hens are super pretty too and definitely good layers. They do seem like they are just a slightly larger version of ODs. Silverrudd was a mad genius...I really want an Isbar or two someday...a true green layer would be super fun, plus they aren't super big birds which is ideal for me! OD eggs are super tiny, so 55 Flowery Hens would get you something a bit more usable haha.

Update on Inky, who is now 5ish weeks old 😁

Trying not to panic over the larger comb…haha. Inky was the smaller of the two silkies so I am hoping I kept the girl 😆 Blinky was traded to give me Sia’s babies!

She hangs out with three Orpington chicks and holds her own ❤️

Attachments

• 6A81ACDB-6C7E-4C9D-A037-7149913E4566.jpeg
    6A81ACDB-6C7E-4C9D-A037-7149913E4566.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 4
  • EC9659C7-5727-4976-A414-B2ECB4A737F7.jpeg
    EC9659C7-5727-4976-A414-B2ECB4A737F7.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 34A8B4D0-5D0C-4F11-88BB-910F43EDADE1.jpeg
    34A8B4D0-5D0C-4F11-88BB-910F43EDADE1.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 2
  • A4D6C728-D58F-414B-94DB-D84E6165437F.jpeg
    A4D6C728-D58F-414B-94DB-D84E6165437F.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 2
Update on Inky, who is now 5ish weeks old 😁

Trying not to panic over the larger comb…haha. Inky was the smaller of the two silkies so I am hoping I kept the girl 😆 Blinky was traded to give me Sia’s babies!

She hangs out with three Orpington chicks and holds her own ❤️
Looking like a cockerel. Hope I am wrong.😬

I kept this little one for purely sentimental reasons, hatched from an egg from my hen I sold and regretted. 6 weeks old and no real male indicators, and yet I think Violet may be a boy, too. Strangely has a single comb, even though dad is a Silkie with a walnut comb and mom was a Silkie/Ameraucana with a modified pea comb. Will be tough selling a mixed breed cockerel. Was going to my layer flock along with an OE. We will see.🙂
FBAB082C-F6BF-47A5-B63D-9271F2907610.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom