Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 791 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.7%

• Total voters
One of my free-rangers decided my garden wagon was the perfect spot to lay an egg the other day.. Sooooooo, I decided to make in into a Conestoga or gypsy wagon for her and whomever wanted to use the accommodations..View attachment 3274287 Didn't even get the job finished with the second piece of garden wire used for the arch.. when.............View attachment 3274285
I had to stop and leave her in peace.. What we won't do to accommodate our fluffy butts.
Love this!😍

Meanwhile....... I've been making the final adjustments on flock management today.. Shadow Captain and Poof Poof moved in to larger living quarters where 3 F1 pullets, nearing 26 weeks have been residing with 2 blue splash pullets and their brother... Put SC and PP + babies in a dog crate, set in the shade.... move 2 Pullets into other free pen where SC and family resided... move F1 cockerel in with them... Set crate inside larger pen and open the door... SC is the first to leave with 2 babies.. 3 F1 gals are hiding on the other end of the pen... Mom and last baby leave the crate.. move crate out and watch the fun.
White Cloud decided to peck on a baby... not a good idea.. SC got her right quick.. I had moved all the furniture around so each group still had something familiar.. PP's bucket already has an egg in it from this morning.. All is calm and quiet.. got to hand it to Silkies, they seem to take everything in stride.
20220928_113340.jpg
20220928_113346.jpg

The last round she hatched/I hatched 2 blues and 1 white with a dot.
Hey Ma! Check this out (new tub with nesting boxes for the F1 pullets). You Can't see mee.....
20220928_120417.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh, better.. less junk in the way.
20220928_120504.jpg

Roosters are just a hoot!
The 3 future wives of SC.. All daughters of General Lee, my first rooster.. 2 are from Turtle dove a Beilefelder/EE cross... She sure puts the pants on her girls. And 1 F1 from a bantam BO. I'm hoping to start the calico satin with this round.
20220928_120537.jpg

Look at that steely gaze from the Steel Meister.
20220928_120705.jpg

Last edited:
Okay.

I'm setting up a few sexlinked pens with silkie males, and wasn't sure if there would be a market for sex linked pure silkies since it's literally just one color option per sex and there are so many colors out there for them now.

But I also know hatcheries won't sex bantams, and silkies take forever to sex visually,, whi h both seem like pluses when it directs attention towards me.
I would! I almost did a month ago for some girls in chocolate and mauve!

Okay.

I'm setting up a few sexlinked pens with silkie males, and wasn't sure if there would be a market for sex linked pure silkies since it's literally just one color option per sex and there are so many colors out there for them now.

But I also know hatcheries won't sex bantams, and silkies take forever to sex visually,, whi h both seem like pluses when it directs attention towards me.
I guess I don't understand the "sex-linked"...
Can you explain it like I was a kid...sorry I'm just trying to understand better.

Back
Top Bottom