Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
You are certainly starting a fashion trend in chickens!

It would be more annoying if it was occurring this frequently in the full silkies. It only rarely happens in them. I did hatch over 70 chicks this year. There were quite a few with cochin and ameraucana in them.

This is a 4th gen chick from my blue/green egg project.

Just when I thought bout moving the critter cam wouldn't ya know I noticed my mint and hosta dug up as well as the cardboard around the backside of it that butts up to the run.
So got to thinking I would see if by chance the critter cam actually caught something besides a spider...
Look like a coon to yall?
I was not convinced this was a raccoon, seemed too agile in its movements.
So, I got my old lady glasses on and viewed your video on my computer with a larger screen. Yup, raccoon. Looks like a young one.

I was not convinced this was a raccoon, seemed too agile in its movements.
So, I got my old lady glasses on and viewed your video on my computer with a larger screen. Yup, raccoon. Looks like a young one.
But big right?
Well there was another one that came back at 10 last night...not quite as big.
Dadgumit

Lost one young pullet several nights ago to an unknown predator that left no evidence behind.. She was one winged and refused to go in the pen at night even with her own personal bucket... one morning she was just gone... Last night 3 of the others that decided to roost on or near the pen got stolen. 3 in one night, no bodies left behind... Fox or Coyote have had their fill.. Can't keep getting them out of trees, or off pens and putting them on roosts when their minds are made up. They were part of the 7 Ms Sarah and her daughter Raven hatched and raised together.. taking them helter skelter all over the yard and beyond. The 3 that remain roost IN the pen at night.. Along with 6 that I finished incubating in another pen.

Now for some good newssssssssssssssssssss! 5 of the six youngsters my cochin pullet hatched.. 4 of the eggs were from my silkie cross project.. Partridge are from Puff Meister, Lil Red and sibling (also red and under mom) are from a Cochin mix pullet (from a red cochin hen) Grey fuzzball is from the hatching pullet, and the black and white are from her pen mate Betty (of the 4 black pullets in that pen, only Betty laid cream colored eggs)
20221010_121407.jpg

Lost one young pullet several nights ago to an unknown predator that left no evidence behind.. She was one winged and refused to go in the pen at night even with her own personal bucket... one morning she was just gone... Last night 3 of the others that decided to roost on or near the pen got stolen. 3 in one night, no bodies left behind... Fox or Coyote have had their fill.. Can't keep getting them out of trees, or off pens and putting them on roosts when their minds are made up. They were part of the 7 Ms Sarah and her daughter Raven hatched and raised together.. taking them helter skelter all over the yard and beyond. The 3 that remain roost IN the pen at night.. Along with 6 that I finished incubating in another pen.
I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs

Now for some good newssssssssssssssssssss! 5 of the six youngsters my cochin pullet hatched.. 4 of the eggs were from my silkie cross project.. Partridge are from Puff Meister, Lil Red and sibling (also red and under mom) are from a Cochin mix pullet (from a red cochin hen) Grey fuzzball is from the hatching pullet, and the black and white are from her pen mate Betty (of the 4 black pullets in that pen, only Betty laid cream colored eggs)View attachment 3286858
Though congrats on the new Littles!😍

New photo of my one dominant white from the last hatch. 8 days old. Just hatched 11 more chicks but none of these are dominant white. Decided to keep this one for a bit anyway. Named her Odette after the swan princess, she was quite the ugly duckling at hatch. She’s actually become more swanlike already! Beak and feet have already darkened.😊
Yes it is the same chick! I changed her band colors when the new chicks hatched.🤣
A71F5E18-9052-400D-A109-1780DF348111.jpeg
7336D933-0112-44E7-A0F8-B68A5A944063.jpeg
F54425F2-6342-4711-B8C0-2EB80C810A84.jpeg

Reminder of what she looked like at one day of age:
7D4F6ADD-B105-4633-A620-31C17B95D3CF.jpeg
B36866A5-01B7-48E8-9271-52D8871A1A94.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom