Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Someone’s broodyyyyyy, she sounds like a very angry cotton puff 😂 Of course she wants the favourite nest box… But at least the eggs won’t freeze with her warming them!

95FC08E7-9E12-4E82-85A2-EEF616AB6224.jpeg

Well everyone is inside and my dining area has moved away!

i had to put the hatchmates together and since Esmeralda was brooded by herself (because the older girls picked on her, even though she was bigger), she has her own setup.

They were not happy at all, but then they got soldier fly larvae, and all was good. Going to ride out the cold weather til Christmas (or an extra night if it's still too cold then).

20221222_142913.jpg

i had to put the hatchmates together and since Esmeralda was brooded by herself (because the older girls picked on her, even though she was bigger), she has her own setup.

They were not happy at all, but then they got soldier fly larvae, and all was good. Going to ride out the cold weather til Christmas (or an extra night if it's still too cold then).

View attachment 3356447
I was just wondering how you and your babies were all doing!
Glad to see yall are all warm!

I was just wondering how you and your babies were all doing!
Glad to see yall are all warm!
I was tempted to get rid of the brooders, figured the coop was good enough. Glad i didn't. Might be good in case of some sort of emergency (besides the cold) to keep them.

I do want to figure out how to weatherize the coop and run better, but i have too many projects going at the moment. Ugh, and I'm monitoring trickling faucets to make sure they dont freeze.

I was tempted to get rid of the brooders, figured the coop was good enough. Glad i didn't. Might be good in case of some sort of emergency (besides the cold) to keep them.

I do want to figure out how to weatherize the coop and run better, but i have too many projects going at the moment. Ugh, and I'm monitoring trickling faucets to make sure they dont freeze.
I totally hear ya!!!
Hang tough over there!

View attachment 3356447

this setup looks familiar to me. I wonder if I should have made a chicken room in my house, lol.

this setup looks familiar to me. I wonder if I should have made a chicken room in my house, lol.
I just told my coworkee this.. That maybe i need a built in chicken area in the garage, with proper power and safe heat.

But they did live inside with me for 18 months when i first got them! You can tell which ones are house chickens, they just settled right down. In fact, minnie rode on my arm to the house while i was carrying daisy. But the newest girls were crying and complaining the whole time, til they finally fell asleep.

Back
Top Bottom