Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Boy on left, girl on right. Picture is washed out because of the light. They are black

VideoCapture_20230605-215111.jpg

a few more eggs under turkey due tomorrow. I hope they hatch as broody managed to squash 2 eggs and kill the chicks that were in there. I cleaned the rest of the eggs and they were alive after that so I hope they did not die later. I did not want to disturb broody again.
You can come to my place for chicks.. I am swimming in chicks!

Oh boy. My first silkie hen finally went broody…while I was on vacation. Came home last night to that shock and quickly slipped some eggs under her. But now everything I’ve read about broodiness has flown out of my brain, so hoping this group of experts can help me out.

I have 2 other silkies in the coop with her (one male, one female) - should I leave her in there for hatch or separate her out? Pic of her spot attached.

I put extra food and water closer to her…she’ll sneak a nibble and drink occasionally and I shouldn’t have to force it, right?

Once they hatch (or, in case they don’t, I’ll be incubating some eggs next week that I could slip under her) would it be best to let her raise them around the other adults, or move them quickly to the brooder?

I really wasn’t expecting my first broody hen while I still have vacation brain 🤦🏼‍♀️
IMG_9376.jpeg

So Betty, my polkie, is going on month two of being broody.. and we are about to go from highs of 80ish, to 105. I carry her to the yard daily where the grass is dewy and cool, and she does come out for food and water, but I'd say she's in that nest box 23 hours a day.

Andddd, wherever Betty goes, Bambina, my teenie tiny silkie, goes. So im afraid I'm going to have two dead chickens next week. *sigh*

There are 5 other chickens that need to lay, so closing up the coop causes a LOUD upset bunch all day long. Anyone have ideas?

Oh boy. My first silkie hen finally went broody…while I was on vacation. Came home last night to that shock and quickly slipped some eggs under her. But now everything I’ve read about broodiness has flown out of my brain, so hoping this group of experts can help me out.

I have 2 other silkies in the coop with her (one male, one female) - should I leave her in there for hatch or separate her out? Pic of her spot attached.

I put extra food and water closer to her…she’ll sneak a nibble and drink occasionally and I shouldn’t have to force it, right?

Once they hatch (or, in case they don’t, I’ll be incubating some eggs next week that I could slip under her) would it be best to let her raise them around the other adults, or move them quickly to the brooder?

I really wasn’t expecting my first broody hen while I still have vacation brain 🤦🏼‍♀️View attachment 3533771

With so few birds I'd leave her. The others will let the babies sleep under them as they get older. Some roosters are very good at helping out with chicks as well.

So Betty, my polkie, is going on month two of being broody.. and we are about to go from highs of 80ish, to 105. I carry her to the yard daily where the grass is dewy and cool, and she does come out for food and water, but I'd say she's in that nest box 23 hours a day.

Andddd, wherever Betty goes, Bambina, my teenie tiny silkie, goes. So im afraid I'm going to have two dead chickens next week. *sigh*

There are 5 other chickens that need to lay, so closing up the coop causes a LOUD upset bunch all day long. Anyone have ideas?
Problem solved.. apparently it's just too damn hot in that nest box 📦 🔥 no more broodies! And only one polish is laying, because it's too hot for that too 😆

5 silkies hatched by a turkey mom! 4 ayam chemani and 2 araucanas as well. I took all the eggs before they hatched and put in incubator. no more accidents.

a few silkies hatched in my friend's incubator and put under his broody brahma (still pullet). they are all alive at the moment.

17 silkie eggs went to north greece to another friend to incubate them. the very next day one of my silkies got broody :he I had only 4 silkie eggs to put under. another pullet (sort of bantam) is getting broody as well. bad timing. araucana stopped laying.

Back
Top Bottom