Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 789 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
They can deal with more chicks than eggs.

I don't know what type of set up you have for the broody. If it's enclosed and no outside weather gets in, I'd give them all to her and watch.

I accidentally gave 13 chicks to a first time pullet last year. She did wonderfully and it wasn't until I'd picked her up to remove something from her foot that I saw the leg band and found I'd grabbed the wrong hen. They were a bit rough from spring molting so it was easy to mistake them. She stuck to the nest after being moved and the other didn't. I always prefer to have them raise in pairs if I can.

So if it was me I'd keep watch. I have a separate coop I like to use sometimes for the broodies. Especially first timers. Those who stay with the flock do even better as all the adults let the chicks sleep under them. Usually my roosters will park themselves next to the mama just for that reason.
Thank you!

I’ll start by giving her all the chicks and monitoring the situation. The coop is weather proof, access to outdoor run but it has a roof and is still plastic wrapped.

This coop also only has 4 adults currently and they all cuddle puddle where my broody decided to post up (I can’t for the life of me make her use a nesting box!) so that’s good to know they’ll help come nighttime. I was worried about the other adults sleeping near her and the chicks.

I just noticed 2 pips so the fun is beginning!

Thank you!

I’ll start by giving her all the chicks and monitoring the situation. The coop is weather proof, access to outdoor run but it has a roof and is still plastic wrapped.

This coop also only has 4 adults currently and they all cuddle puddle where my broody decided to post up (I can’t for the life of me make her use a nesting box!) so that’s good to know they’ll help come nighttime. I was worried about the other adults sleeping near her and the chicks.

I just noticed 2 pips so the fun is beginning!

If I have them in the coop, trying to find chicks at night is impossible.

Even my teenage cockerels will often try and help with chicks.

I had an old man (8 years) who wasn't doing well last spring. Old birds often start acting a certain way when the end is near. I'd moved him into the broody coop with the co-parenting hens at that time. Helping with the chicks perked him up and he lasted another 6 months. He was always a very good father.

If I have them in the coop, trying to find chicks at night is impossible.

Even my teenage cockerels will often try and help with chicks.

I had an old man (8 years) who wasn't doing well last spring. Old birds often start acting a certain way when the end is near. I'd moved him into the broody coop with the co-parenting hens at that time. Helping with the chicks perked him up and he lasted another 6 months. He was always a very good father.
That’s the sweetest thing ever. I think my boy might end up being a good dad. He’s so gentle with his girls and always watching out and calling to food.

I’m definitely going to try her with all the chicks. It’ll be so heartwarming to watch!

Officially up to 6 pips!

That’s the sweetest thing ever. I think my boy might end up being a good dad. He’s so gentle with his girls and always watching out and calling to food.

I’m definitely going to try her with all the chicks. It’ll be so heartwarming to watch!

Officially up to 6 pips!
Well it’s sat let’s seeee emmm!!!!!!! I get so excited !

Well it’s sat let’s seeee emmm!!!!!!! I get so excited !
Hahaha you got it! All 12 hatched!

I was thwarted from taking a bunch of cute pics because I discovered 2 had splay leg this AM and I’ve never dealt with that before. So I got into a bit of a panic and tossed the other 10 under my broody immediately.

But here are some! I hatched 8 white/paint (time will tell which is which), 1 blue, 1 splash, 1 black and 1 partridge.
IMG_2995.jpeg IMG_2980.jpeg IMG_2951.jpeg IMG_2914.jpeg

Hahaha you got it! All 12 hatched!

I was thwarted from taking a bunch of cute pics because I discovered 2 had splay leg this AM and I’ve never dealt with that before. So I got into a bit of a panic and tossed the other 10 under my broody immediately.

But here are some! I hatched 8 white/paint (time will tell which is which), 1 blue, 1 splash, 1 black and 1 partridge.
View attachment 3785954View attachment 3785960View attachment 3785961View attachment 3785959

I keep a pack of chick hobbles with my incubator. If caught at hatch, splay leg fixes very fast.

Has anyone gotten hatching eggs from charisetrott on ebay? And if so what might I expect?
No, but I can tell you to stay away from dakurtz1

I've ordered twice from https://www.ebay.com/usr/thesilkiechick, just the USPS was unkind both times. I have a few of hers that made it in each batch though and I'm extremely happy. I see she's selling pet quality now. I got fancier ones from her.

Back
Top Bottom