Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 789 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Aw… Thanks!❤️😍
Got some dominant whites for the first time this hatch! Paint times paint cross.
Saweet!

That reminds me...what is the difference in dominant white and recessive white?
Cuz for first time I have Daisy which is a recessive white Satin I believe yall thought from her baby pics. And I'm wandering what that means for her when starts laying which won't be much longer!

Attachments

• 20220420_193522.jpg
    20220420_193522.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220430-193003_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-193003_Photos.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220616-124159_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220616-124159_Photos.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 1
Saweet!

That reminds me...what is the difference in dominant white and recessive white?
Cuz for first time I have Daisy which is a recessive white Satin I believe yall thought from her baby pics. And I'm wandering what that means for her when starts laying which won't be much longer!
She’s beautiful!😍
Most Silkies are recessive white. So if you breed a recessive white Silkie to another recessive white Silkie you’ll get recessive white babies. Many silkies carry recessive white so they might be blue or any other color but then carry the gene for the recessive white and then can throw a white chick if bred to a recessive white or a bird that carries it.
Dominant white dominates over other colors. This is what makes a paint bird the paint color. Also seen in other breeds for example the hybrid Austrawhite which are leghorn/Australorps cross. Leghorns are also dominant white.
Dominant white Silkies will often hatch with very pink legs and beaks. The recessive whites will hatch with black beaks and legs.
In the dominant white this will often darken as the bird gets older.
This is also why paint chicks often have “pigment holes“ and will have pink skin with black spots much like an Appaloosa horse.
Hope this makes sense!😊

I agree that Daisy is recessive white from her appearance as a chick.❤️
What color chicks she throws will depend on the rooster you breed her too.
Depends on what genetic makeup he has as well.
Well I've got 2 roos now lol!
Still have Joey
Screenshot_20220611-065857_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220715-191457_Photos.jpg

And now Bluey
Screenshot_20220714-193849_Gallery.jpg

So little caveat - they are all 3 from the same flock in Alabama...but Joey has different daddy than Bluey and Daisy.
And pretty sure they all have different moms cuz she has atleast 10 or 12 Satin hens.
Based on your post above can you tell if a colored bird has recessive white gene without havin its babies or do you have to just go for it and see what pops out lol!?
So if Bluey has recessive white gene and Daisy is recessive white then I would get a recessive white baby right?
I think you and @LynnaePB originally thought Joey was Columbian based...but doesn't the streamers that have come in the past few months look more wheaten? You can also see where Bluey has these same cream color (is that considered wheaten) streamers coming in!

Last edited:
I still think that Joey is Colombian based. Bluey just has some leakage coming in possibly from whatever other genetics he has besides the blue. You are right if either of them have a recessive gene for white then they could definitely throw white chicks with Daisy.
If not then her chicks with Bluey will likely be blue and her chicks with Joey could be pretty much anything! That’s the fun part of breeding mixed colors, you may never know what you could get but you may have some educated guesses about it!😊

Well I've got 2 roos now lol!
Still have JoeyView attachment 3187631View attachment 3187632

And now Bluey
View attachment 3187615

So little caveat - they are all 3 from the same flock in Alabama...but Joey has different daddy than Bluey and Daisy.
And pretty sure they all have different moms cuz she has atleast 10 or 12 Satin hens.
Based on your post above can you tell if a colored bird has recessive white gene without havin its babies or do you have to just go for it and see what pops out lol!?
So if Bluey has recessive white gene and Daisy is recessive white then I would get a recessive white baby right?
I think you and @LynnaePB originally thought Joey was Columbian based...but doesn't the streamers that have come in the past few months look more wheaten? You can also see where Bluey has these same cream color (is that considered wheaten) streamers coming in!

The only real way to see if a bird carries recessive white is to breed it to a full recessive white bird and see if any white chicks are produced.

Back
Top Bottom