Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Some old pictures of hens and their feather blindness.

Screenshot_20220702-144202_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220702-144213_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220702-144149_Chrome.jpg

These are from the same pen as the light black chicks I posted last night. Both have the black spotting like paint does.

I don't know enough about paint genetics so I'm going to have to do a lot of reading on it. I was expecting black birds with lots of leakage.

View attachment 3187835View attachment 3187837
You've got some beautiful babies!!!
Hens too!

This is what a lot of people are aiming for when they try to create calico silkies. This particular one I believe is a splash calico bred by a breeder who no longer is doing this project. I've heard it is a hard color to get right and hard to reproduce. Trying to get that red leakage to behave in a certain way I believe is going to be a real challenge.

View attachment 3184494

My first generation is so far from this color but it's a first step. They are still too young to evaluate very well though. The red often likes to come in later on so we'll see if any pops up on them. I doubt it will be much if it shows up at all but you never know. My little ones I believe are splash but coming from overly melanized parents they are also overly melanized and quite a dark splash. I'm also hoping to work on getting some hyper mottled milles for another calico like look. Seeing as all I have are mille splits right now that is quite a ways off too. :lol:

This is the oldest of my first gens for my splash calico project. She/he is still quite young at only a few months old. I think he/she was around 2 months or so in this picture. There is a bit of gold leakage coming in on the hackles but no red yet. Splash can change so much as they mature I'm still hopeful some more color may pop up later on. My red frizzle satin girl should be a help in introducing more red if bred to one of these little ones but it'll take another generation after crossing to her to get back to splash. If I'm really lucky maybe I'll start seeing more promising results around the third generation.
View attachment 3184501
WOW!! that is an amazing colour! I want calico silkies!!!!
I have splash paint and red leakage in my flock now with the young ones coming up to maturity this spring so I hope I get some crazy calico mixed offspring! One of the young boys has red leakage on his wings but also some yellowing and very light patches of grey so it will be interesting (if Biscuit allows the others to breed) what colours I'll get next hatching season. .. Biscuit isn't giving me fertile eggs lately so I'm thinking I need to do some butt feather trimming.

Sorry to anyone trying to read all these replies, the thread moved so fast but I wanted to comment on a few things anyway. :oops:😂

My sweetest boy ever, Hotaru, is going to a new home on Thursday! With my new work schedule I just don’t have time for more projects so I’m going to stick to just the purebred Silkies. The folks who are getting him are wonderful and I’m sure he will be well cared for. They have promised update photos!
Here is Hotaru last week. He is just barely 4 months old. He has just feathered in beautifully and has retained three whole black paint spots underneath all the red!
I have included his baby photo. You can’t even tell it’s the same bird! His eyes went from black to green to amber.🥰View attachment 3184550View attachment 3184547View attachment 3184546

Aww I can definitely understand needing to downsize and making some tough choices. He really is such a beautiful boy and I'm so glad he is going to a good home. I still can't believe how red he turned! 🥰

That gives me pause to think.. I have a cochin silkie mix that came from an egg I hatched..
Too bad he's a he! I just don't have enough pens for another roosky.View attachment 3184622
He's still young at 18 weeks or so. His two sisters Cheyenne and Sioux are going in with General Lee when they are ready. Sioux looks just like the Puff Meister without the top hat (Gen Lee's daughter)View attachment 3184626View attachment 3184627View attachment 3184629

Aww what cuties! I completely understand not having enough room for another boy, he sure is gorgeous though, that color is so neat! The girls are really pretty too! 😍

Speaking of calico projects...I'm not planning on doing a full blown out project but I am going to try and breed my paint naked with my absolute gorgeous partridge roo to see what I get in the calico colored family. Here's their pictures.

Aww that is such a cute pair! I'd love to see what you get. 🥰 I had blacks and paint when I crossed one of my paint boys to a partridge girl. They definitely have some leakage but so far the paints leakage/offcolor is more on the khaki side instead of the red I was hoping for. They are still young though so maybe I'll get lucky and some of that red will shine through later.

I love all these babies!! I took some updated photos of my hand full last night … Only missing my Elvis whom has a HUGE head/puff lol. They are about 6 weeks now! 🥰😝

Love the pictures! They are definitely adorable! 🥰
I love Silkies too much!
The one in my Avatar is Fwoof, who passed away a couple of months ago.
My current Silkie is named Hertie!
Aww I'm sorry to hear about Fwoof. :hugs

Hertie is adorable! ❤️

Well I think Bluey is a dude...but he's gonna go with the d'uccles and make some beautiful babies with them both having those massive feet feathers!!!
Looks like he has some streamers very similar to Joey coming in.
last pic is Joey which is his uncle!
Yall agree definitely a dude?

Yeah I'd be pretty surprised if Bluey turned out to be a pullet at this point. Such a handsome little guy though! 😍

Lil Buffy has been slowish to get out of the teenage stage and is looking mighty cute! Our only girl from the buffs this year and only bearded luckily 🎉 She’s got some darker barring on the wings/tail though

View attachment 3185538View attachment 3185539View attachment 3185541

Adorable, and so pretty too! 😍

Meet Perdy....hopefully not a Pongo!
Saweet lil paint!
This is the one that had the bleeding toe n I put med on n wrapped for few days. Just took bandage off and she went right back to pecking at it.
Any ideas why? The toe doesn't look broken. Does appear a feather or 2 are missing which could explain the bleeding? She walks just fine on it. Maybe tad bit puffy underneath foot on that toe.
I'm guessing she's a Satin!
What yall think?

Yes I agree a little satin. 🥰

I've had some babies who wouldn't leave a toe alone either for awhile. I gave up trying to keep them from it and eventually it healed on its own and stopped bothering them. It's frustrating watching them pick at it and get all upset and I have tried using a band aid boot for a day or so to keep them away but like your cutie they went back to it. 😩

Meet Bambi!
Pretty sure a lil Silkie!!!
I'm guessing dark blue based on the near white areas?
What yall think?

I agree a little silkie. ☺️ The yellow/white on the underside shouldn't be related to blue vs black but might give a hint into the e-allele the color was made on. Some of the best e-alleles for making black tend to have white/yellow on the babies undersides. Black australorp chicks are a good example of this, they've got so much yellow/white on their bellies as babies they look like little penguins as chicks. 😂

Could be dark blue but could definitely still be a black as well (they can be really hard to tell apart).

Little blue baby...pretty sure Silkie!
And man is this one fiesty! May have to be her name....wouldn't be surprised if a roo though based on personality thus far!

I agree with this one too. 😁

This is the one that still has me puzzled by the line around her little head that seems to be skin...could she be just missing a small portion of feathers around neck rather than a full showgirl?
She's a splash...and I'm unsure if Silkie or Satin on this one...what do yall think?

I've had some hatch with a similar really short downed area near the start of the vault. It wasn't completely bald but much shorter than all the rest of the down. I think your baby has the same thing going on and should feather in normally.

She looks to have silkie feathering as well. ☺️

4 of the 5 silkie pens will have chicks in the next couple days. They have started hatching.

First hatched in this pen. Mix color. Paint father. The mothers are blue cream (formerly known as porcelain) and lavender partridge (not a color. Partridge with 2 copies of lavender. I just like how they look so keep them for myself. Very similar in looks to the blue cream but those are buff based.)
View attachment 3186754

Lone partridge that has hatched so far. I hope it's a good looking boy.
View attachment 3186757

Aww just adorable! Congratulations on the new additions! 😍 I hope your little partridge turns out how you are hoping for as well. ☺️

Ok, so I got Eeny Meeny Meiny Mo and Minnie all squared away today.. started with two of the smallest going from light to darker splash, then the two biggest doing the same, and one small one with darkest splashes was Minnie.. that was easy..
Then on the the itty bitty pen.. I can't believe they were cooperating today. Pete and Repeat at times.View attachment 3187212View attachment 3187213View attachment 3187214View attachment 3187215View attachment 3187211

Aww those pictures are great! 😍 I love how much splash can vary as well, and how much it changes as they grow. 🥰

Babies that hatched last night! Half are in the incubator, the ones that look a little damp still, I took them out very briefly to do a quick clean of the incubator and put them back. The other half are in the brooder and already eating!😊View attachment 3187572View attachment 3187571

Congratulations on the new little ones! I know a lot of paint breeders just pet out the dominant white and don't use them in their programs but I think it is pretty neat being able to pretty much guarantee all paint babies when putting them over a black. I keep my nice type dominant whites for this reason. I've heard some get more poor marked paint with the cross but when I've tried I didn't notice any different in size of spots compared to paint hens. ☺️

Well I've got 2 roos now lol!
Still have JoeyView attachment 3187631View attachment 3187632

And now Bluey
View attachment 3187615

So little caveat - they are all 3 from the same flock in Alabama...but Joey has different daddy than Bluey and Daisy.
And pretty sure they all have different moms cuz she has atleast 10 or 12 Satin hens.
Based on your post above can you tell if a colored bird has recessive white gene without havin its babies or do you have to just go for it and see what pops out lol!?
So if Bluey has recessive white gene and Daisy is recessive white then I would get a recessive white baby right?
I think you and @LynnaePB originally thought Joey was Columbian based...but doesn't the streamers that have come in the past few months look more wheaten? You can also see where Bluey has these same cream color (is that considered wheaten) streamers coming in!

I wish there was a way to tell about the recessive white hiding, it would make weeding it out of non recessive white pens easier. 😂

As far as Joey and Columbian I'd say he does have some columbian genetics going on or something similar to columbian like DB (dark brown) which is a columbian like restrictor and acts similarly to columbian but cleans up the hackles more of eumalanin (black) and has less of an effect on females than males. Columbian isn't a base though just a gene that can actually affect multiple bases. His actual e-allele base is probably eb (partridge) as grays and columbian grays should be eb based. Wheaten is another e-allele base but the color coming in on his streamers probably isn't related to that so much. The light straw color in Joey's streamers and in Bluey's hackle could be indicative of being silver/gold based though (different from the e-allele base, the gold/silver thing is sex linked and all female chickens are either gold or silver, males are either silver/silver, gold/gold, or silver/gold. When boys are silver/gold the silver is more dominant but the gold may show up just a bit as a sort of very light gold/yellow. I've had silver/gold boys who you'd never have been able to tell weren't silver/silver until a bunch of daughters popped out gold base. 😂 Yellowing can occur from diet (like if they have a lot of corn) and sun bleaching as well.

I hope that wasn't terribly confusing.....chicken genetics can be rather complicated. The whole e-allele thing confused me for the longest time but now I grasp it. I've still got a lot more to learn though. Multiple colors can be made on multiple bases. Take buff silkies for instance, there are two different e-alleles they are commonly made on. eb (partridge) and ewh (wheaten). The partridge based ones may be more prone to having smut (some dark feathers in the tail and wings) but the wheaten based ones may be more likely to have lighter skin (one of the reasons buff is such a challenging color in silkies, ewh is a very good buff base in breeds who don't need dark skin). The e-allele has two spots and you can have a bird that is split on the e-allele as well. So for instance you could have a buff silkie that is eb/ewh and be a bit of a mix in how it presents. Some E alleles are much more dominant than others. For instance E (extended black) is much more dominant than eb (partridge) so an E/eb bird might just look black despite having the one eb (partridge) e-allele. Put that bird with a partridge though and you start getting 50% eb/eb babies that are going to look much closer to partridge.

I don't know enough about paint genetics so I'm going to have to do a lot of reading on it. I was expecting black birds with lots of leakage.

View attachment 3187835View attachment 3187837

With dad being a paint these paint babies along with the black are what I'd expect with the parents you mentioned before. ☺️

Paint is the color I focus most on breeding to standard and I've read a lot about the genetics behind it. Plus having the hands on experience has been very helpful too. Paint is heterozygous dominant white over black so when bred to any other color a paint is going to give the dominant white to half the offspring. These little paint babies being split on the e-allele could give 25% pyle like offspring when bred to a partridge with another 25% being paint, 25% partridge like, and 25% black (assuming no blue genes are involved which would make blue paints etc possible). Given the moms of these babies off color/leakage is likely to come in at some point but may take months to show up.

WOW!! that is an amazing colour! I want calico silkies!!!!
I have splash paint and red leakage in my flock now with the young ones coming up to maturity this spring so I hope I get some crazy calico mixed offspring! One of the young boys has red leakage on his wings but also some yellowing and very light patches of grey so it will be interesting (if Biscuit allows the others to breed) what colours I'll get next hatching season. .. Biscuit isn't giving me fertile eggs lately so I'm thinking I need to do some butt feather trimming.

I can't wait to see what you get! You have such beautiful birds and with the new additions so many new possibilities! 😁

@LynnaePB you always put so much into your posts back to us! Thank you so much for that extra time and effort! I'm not sure I will ever understand much less grasp the genetics stuff...but I sure admire you that do!
Would love to see some of YOUR pretty babies when you get time! Do you still have your house babies as well? I remember when I had the lil baby with the slipped tendon we had talked bout your house baby! Just wondered how they were.

@LynnaePB you always put so much into your posts back to us! Thank you so much for that extra time and effort! I'm not sure I will ever understand much less grasp the genetics stuff...but I sure admire you that do!
Would love to see some of YOUR pretty babies when you get time! Do you still have your house babies as well? I remember when I had the lil baby with the slipped tendon we had talked bout your house baby! Just wondered how they were.
Beautifully written and I couldn’t agree more!❤️

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
With dad being a paint these paint babies along with the black are what I'd expect with the parents you mentioned before. ☺️

Paint is the color I focus most on breeding to standard and I've read a lot about the genetics behind it. Plus having the hands on experience has been very helpful too. Paint is heterozygous dominant white over black so when bred to any other color a paint is going to give the dominant white to half the offspring. These little paint babies being split on the e-allele could give 25% pyle like offspring when bred to a partridge with another 25% being paint, 25% partridge like, and 25% black (assuming no blue genes are involved which would make blue paints etc possible). Given the moms of these babies off color/leakage is likely to come in at some point but may take months to show up.

I've never bred paint or read much on how it is composed genetically. Thanks much for this information.

Ok yeah I'm a helicopter mom, in every way lol, as u can tell I'm sure!
So Joey...my oldest cockrel bout 9 months old is intimidating lil Bluey which is only 14 weeks old.
Bluey still acts girlee but I guess Joey knows otherwise lol.
Bluey screams, takes off running through the run, then does the egg layin song (for lack of a better way of saying it).
Will Bluey withstand the pecks he's getting?
Joey and Grayson were hatchmates so worst they ever did was chase each other every morning for bout 20 mins.
Joey always the head dude.
Just my first time with different age boys!
And with Bluey always panting don't want him Killin over!

Back
Top Bottom