silkies with partial toes or wrong # of toes

Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Indiana
How common is it for silkies to have the wrong number of toes or partial toes? What would cause this? I have one with a tiny dangly toe nubbin. I almost ripped it off because I thought it was poo. It has 5 toes on the other foot. I have one with 4 toes on both feet and one with 5 on one and 4 on the other. On the 4 side the 4th toe has a seam on the end and 2 toe nails. Will I be able to breed these or will the toe thing be passed on genetically?

In a good quality line it doesn't show up at all or happens very rarely. Unfortunately it's genetic and they would not make good breeders because the fault would be passed on to the offspring. It could be improved by breeding the poor hen to a good roo, but I would not chance it. Any of their offspring could throw bad toe formations in later generations.

I hatched out eggs from a "good line" and most of the chicks had 4 toes and a few with single combs.....

I do know the breeder. I wasn't trying to make show birds. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my fault. I love my funky toed babies. I have some with regular toes too so depending on the rooster situation I may just try to breed it out. I am gonna cross them with polish so maybe I can eventuallyy get rid of the 5th toe all together. Thanks for the response.

Nope, it's all genetics!
smile.png

I have some silkie experiments going too.
smile.png
I think I hatched a boy and a girl this round, but the girl has the better toes. Dad has some silkie in him somewhere and mom is a hatchery buff silkie.

Back
Top Bottom