Silkies

The comb is single, not a walnut comb as it should be, so it's definitely a hybrid, not a pure silkie. Handsome boy though, regardless. :p

Our other silkies rooster has a walnut comb - I just thought he had something wrong with his comb :confused:

It's not rare to get a mixed breed when buying from farm supply businesses. Some places just don't seem to have good quality control but will charge purebred prices anyway. I myself ended up with a 'silkie' this year that ended up having half silky feathers and half regular feathers. His rear end had these fairly long, ragged feathers, rather like a standard rooster tail.

I hear ya..tsc silkies here
20170824_200650.jpg

Hello Silkie people!
PLEASE HELP! I have SIX 3 month old chicks. I need help telling the sex of a couple that aren't as obvious as the others. You'd think I'd be better at this by now. Lol. I'd be really grateful for the help! Im attaching some pics. Thank you for your help!
20170923_180326.jpg

20170923_155839.jpg

20170923_180214.jpg

These 2 are confusing me. Their mom has a larger comb. What do you think?
20170923_175949.jpg

At least he seems obvious...I think.

I thought all silkies we're bantams. We got ours from Tractor Supply in a mixed bantam group....ended up with 5 silkies & 5 cochins. We got them in March and they are HUGE! They are bigger then my Jersey Giants that we got last yr!
I have a rooster named Leopold, who looks exactly like this rooster! He even has the single comb, like yours. He has two hens, Minuet and Marzipan, that are almost the same size of my LF hens!:eek:
I bought them off of somebody and don't know where he got them, but apparently at TSC, LOL!

Question: If I bred this rooster to an "actual" Silkie, would the offspring be better than the father, such as smaller size and correct comb? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom