Silkies

Canuck88

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
BC
Is 12 weeks too early to sex Silkie chicks? I know they are hard to figure out..
The hen in front is the mother of the two white “teenagers”
0D101293-622D-48AC-B641-B91F2E6E6B1C.jpeg

I'd say the white in the back is a rooster and the white in the front is a pullet. You can tell by the size of their combs. He might be too young, but the rooster will eventually grow hackle feathers. Hackle feathers are extra long feathers that cover the back of the head and neck. Only roosters have them. Mine are 5 months old, and you can clearly see the hackles. The white pullet reminds me of my Piper...Piper is the yellow silkie in my profile picture.

I'd say the white in the back is a rooster and the white in the front is a pullet. You can tell by the size of their combs. He might be too young, but the rooster will eventually grow hackle feathers. Hackle feathers are extra long feathers that cover the back of the head and neck. Only roosters have them. Mine are 5 months old, and you can clearly see the hackles. The white pullet reminds me of my Piper...Piper is the yellow silkie in my profile picture.
Thanks! I was thinking that the one in the back was a roo and the one up front was a pullet too :)

Back
Top Bottom