silkies?

i wouldn't want them for showing or anything.... could i cut the 'feathers' over their eyes so they can see? I'm just wondering if they should be seperate from larger birds or if they maybe need less heat or something. We have to build another coop when we get more birds anyway I just don't have a clue about a 'fancy' breed. lol

Quote:
I have mine in the same coop as my standard hens , along with my EE roo.. its funny my silkies will follow my big EE roo around

Quote:
mine don't smell AT ALL!

Thanks, was worried what I was doing if they did cause I have 30 in the bator right now.
fl.gif

I had 4 silkies living in my house, in my dining room for about 4 months while they were being quarantined and did not notice any smell difference with my other chickens

well, they go broodie all the time and broodie poop is stinkier, in my opionion, but the pros to that are they only poo like once a day, poop scoop and your good!!!! my broodie is almost litter trained LOL
lau.gif

Quote:
Silkies are fantastic birds. They are the most firendly chickens I have ever had. I am infact trying to get rid of all of my other chickens and get all silkies. They are very beautiful. The only special thing is they take dont handle heat oor cold as well as other chickens, do to their feathering it does not hold in heat or cold. But I live in florida and I just keep a small fan on them if it's going to be in the 90s or high 80s. If you plan on showing them than there is more things that you must do. If you get bantams than they don't get very big. Some large fowl can get very large looking, but with silkies it is mostly their fluffy feathers. I'm not sure what color they lay, but the one of mine that is laying is a very good layer. My others are to young to lay right now. I won't be able to rest at the four that I have. I know for sure that I am going to get many more from sunshinesilkie. Silkies are beautiful and I would definetly reccomend getting some
smile.png

I have two silkies in with my standards, some EEs, a polish and some RIRs. The silkies do roost with the rest. They are usually the first ones in the coop at night and get first choice of roosting spots. The others will not shove them out of the way like they would with each other. If a silkie is in the spot by the window (apparently the best spot of all!) then the bigger chicken will just roost beside her. I have also seen the silkies chasing the big girls. They are definitely at the top of the pecking order. One of them lays small tinted eggs, the other is just getting to laying age. They are a lot of fun and people who visit us love to see them. Most of them have never heard of silkies.
smile.png

I Had Never Heard Of Them Either But After Ds Saw The Picture Of One On Here (of Course) That's The Only Kind He Wants Now. And I Thought, Since Chickens Have Become An Addiction For Me Now... I Want To Get More In The Spring.... I Think Maybe I'd Get A Couple As A Suprise So When We Get Them, He'd Be So Suprised.
Does Anyone Have Any Pictures Of Them In Different Stages And When They're Real Little?
I Think I'd Like To Get A Few Different Kinds Of Birds Actually. Instead Of Getting Just One Breed Like We Did When We Got Our Buff Orpingtons.....

Back
Top Bottom