Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyBeartoothMamma, Jul 13, 2010.

1. LadyBeartoothMamma

LadyBeartoothMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Absarokee Montana
    I have a question????? Would you pay $75.00 dollars for silkies or get them at a hatchery???????

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    It's according to what you are looking for. Quality Silkies are expensive and hatchery Silkies can well....be a perfect chicken while not being a good representative of the breed.

3. alanaartist

alanaartist New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    Maybe it depends on what city you are in? I got one day old silkies that came from a show quality hen (currently used for that purpose) and paid $15 for three. She had beautiful chickens and I feel fortunate.

I looked on Craigslist and no one had new babies so I wrote people who had old ads asking if they had any new babies. I got lucky. Love our babies and just hope and pray we don't have three roosters because I can't imagine giving any away.

4. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Depends on what you want them for. If you are going to show, you need to get silkies from a breeder that has good quality silkies. I have seen too many young people in 4h or FFA that have hatchery birds that will never place. If you just want them for pets, then getting them from a hatchery would be ok for you.

5. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I've spent well over a hundred on a shipped, started bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by