Silkies

X 2. They can't get to anything that is higher than their chest and will sleep on the floor together. They tend to get bullied so keep an eye out. They can't see well at all so it is harder for them to escape predators. Also because they don't scratch you may need to trim their nails but it's easy to do. They are very sweet.
I don't konw how to trim their toes. What kind of tool do you need? Where can you get it?

I have four 14 week old silkies, one roo and 3 hens, and one of the hens love to go up the ramp but is to scared to go back down. Within and our she went up 4 times and she never went back down. From the floor to the coop is a good four feet and the ramp is on a 45 degree angle. I don't like the ramp and its angle but the older chickens are fine with it so as long as they can get up with out help I'm happy. On the other hand the rooster(FROSTY) is to baby to even step on the platform for the ramp. I have to carry the other 3 up every night and since they are getting bigger and bigger it is getting harder and harder. Sometimes I put them on the ramp and hold there feet and walk them up slowly but that doesn't seem to work. By the way the silkies are my favorite chicken. I have a BR, 2 RIR, a BO, Ameracauna, a sex link, houdan, polish and barred rock Cochin.

I don't konw how to trim their toes. What kind of tool do you need? Where can you get it?

I have only done it once in a year so it is not a regular thing that has to be done. If you look at their feet and the nail looks really long or is starting to curl it's better to trim.

I just use standard dog nail trimmers. Have you ever trimmed a dogs nails? It is exactly the same. You want to trim a little at a time following the angle of the nail. Inside is a quick that will bleed if you cut it so try to avoid that.

The more topknot they have..the more often they will be higher mantaince. ...mostly due to eyesight problems. Ones with less proof are often more active..as they see better....can jump up higher etc.. My one poofy house Silkie acts like a bump on a log until I pin her poof out of her eyes.....then she's racing around the house..talking and scratching...jumping and flapping. She even jumps up on the couch every night. Take her barette out..she's back to a bump on a log....lol.

I have one silkie she is about 4 months old give or take, she was the only one that hatched out of some silkie eggs I got and she had a messed up leg so I dont know whats normal for them when It comes to regular chicken stuff. I do know that she is the sweetest thing and will let me cuddle her lol she will sit with me while I watch tv or play on my lap top and I have even taken her for a ride in a diaper bag when I went out shopping. Her fluff does get into her eyes and I try to trim it up just a little , it also gets in her nostrels and cakes down just a litlte around the edges so I keep an eye on it to make sure it dosnt get to much. She also has more of a tendency to get pooh and stuff on her and I guess ether she isnt as big at cleaning her self or cleaning the fluff is harder then cleaning ordinary feathers so I actually trim her feet feathers just a little bit and a tiny bit around her bum .

I have one silkie she is about 4 months old give or take, she was the only one that hatched out of some silkie eggs I got and she had a messed up leg so I dont know whats normal for them when It comes to regular chicken stuff. I do know that she is the sweetest thing and will let me cuddle her lol she will sit with me while I watch tv or play on my lap top and I have even taken her for a ride in a diaper bag when I went out shopping. Her fluff does get into her eyes and I try to trim it up just a little , it also gets in her nostrels and cakes down just a litlte around the edges so I keep an eye on it to make sure it dosnt get to much. She also has more of a tendency to get pooh and stuff on her and I guess ether she isnt as big at cleaning her self or cleaning the fluff is harder then cleaning ordinary feathers so I actually trim her feet feathers just a little bit and a tiny bit around her bum .

I am so getting a silkie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom