Silkies

Would it be ok to put the nesting boxes on the floor of the coop?????? I know that silkies are bantams but how big do they get????

The hens are around 2 lb and the cocks around 3 lb.

Nesting boxes on the floor are fine. Make sure you can EASILY reach all the way to the back of the nest box whilst standing so you don't have to get down on the floor to reach eggs. That is why I favor the covered kitty litter pans, since I can simply remove the cover and get eggs, or take the whole thing out to hose it out occasionally. Also mites cannot hide easily in the crevices as with wood.

What other breeds get along with silkies??? What is a general age that they start laying??? Where should their nesting box be in the coop??? Are roosters nice to chicks or do I need to separate them from the roo???? So many questions!!!!! :barnie
. Polish chickens are supposed to get along well with them, so are Cochins,frizzles, sizzles,showgirls and other docile breeds.

you didn't say how old your silkies are. I have two in a mixed flock the bigger girls didn't like the silkies as they peeped constantly. Now that they have finally stopped peeping they get along. To figure out if its a roo you need to look at the legs to see if there is a bump where his spurs are going to grow from.

I have a silkie hen that is sitting on four eggs. She's been sitting on them for a weeks now, I just candled them tonight and so far it looks as if everything is going well. I'm new to egg hatching so I have a few questions. I got my silkie hen along with two other silkie hens a silkie rooster, and a polish hen at the beginning of this year. Should I be concerned that she is still young? I have not seen her move from the eggs at all and I put water and food next to her. Do I need to move her to a separate place away from the other birds? She is nesting about a foot and a half or so above the bottom of the chicken house. Do I need to be concerned about the chicks safety once they are hatched? I live in Washington state and it is about 40 degrees at night here, should I move the chicks and hen once they are hatched to a warmer place? Sorry this is so many questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a silkie hen that is sitting on four eggs. She's been sitting on them for a weeks now, I just candled them tonight and so far it looks as if everything is going well. I'm new to egg hatching so I have a few questions. I got my silkie hen along with two other silkie hens a silkie rooster, and a polish hen at the beginning of this year. Should I be concerned that she is still young? I have not seen her move from the eggs at all and I put water and food next to her. Do I need to move her to a separate place away from the other birds? She is nesting about a foot and a half or so above the bottom of the chicken house. Do I need to be concerned about the chicks safety once they are hatched? I live in Washington state and it is about 40 degrees at night here, should I move the chicks and hen once they are hatched to a warmer place? Sorry this is so many questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I would if I where you..... I would take them to a warmer place in till they have most to all of there feathers! Chicks cant regulate their own body temp. so they need a brooder but this is just my advice.... hope this helps!!!!

Back
Top Bottom