Silky Baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peeps7, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Layer feed for over 16 weeks, Grower from 8-16 weeks and starter from 0-8 weeks. Mine get corn only in winter to help keep them warm or as a treat all other seasons. Offer oyster shell for calcium and grit, as well.

2. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    thanks for the advice. [​IMG]

3. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Your baby is to young to eat that hard cracked corn.
    Put a small amount of sugar or molasses in the water that will
    give him enough energy until you get chick food and don't worry about getting a really big bag
    for one chick because when you are done with the chick the other birds can help him eat it.
    If you have a hen/hens you should have layer crumbles or layer pellets on hand.

4. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Thanks! I put honey in his water to put some extra nutrition (I did not have sugar).

5. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    My baby just sleeps alot. (is this normal?)

6. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Songster

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    um...I would not put honey in his water--y'know how you're not supposed to give infants honey due to the risk of botulism? I think the same thing applies here, because chickens can get botulism too. [​IMG]

It's normal for the chick to sleep a lot, eat a lot, and then sleep some more. Do you have some plain oatmeal laying around? You could cook some of that up for him; or you can cook up some egg and feed him that too. My chickies all LOVE egg! [​IMG]

Good luck

7. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    So no honey. I do have some oatmeal (alot of it). I got some chick feed after church and he seemed happy that he could actually eat his food. thanks!

8. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    What can I use for extra nutrition? I have no sugar and no molases.

9. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Thats when taking them little packets from the fast food places come in handy.
    :)

His chick food should be enough for now. Treats come later.
    Do you have any gatoraid that is a good booster.

10. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Nope no gatorade either. I guess I can go to my neighbors house tomorrow and get some sugar. Umm..... will pedialyte work for chicks, that's what my cousin uses for her chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: