Silky laid 4 eggs and then stopped...

sillyovrsilkies

Songster
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Bluegrass State
My 5 mo. old silky laid her first 4 eggs and then stopped...any ideas? I removed them from the nest box b/c we weren't going to hatch...did I upset her??
wink.png

You could put some fake eggs in there for her.

I don't know why she stopped laying if she isn't setting on the nest (broody). Diet, illness, etc. could be the culprit?

You are REALLY fortunate to have a silkie laying at 5 months. Are you sure it was her?
ep.gif

Quote:
Yes, I'm positive b/c I only have 3 silkies and they all just turned 6 mo. old (she laid her first eggs at the end of Feb). I actually saw her sitting on the nest box and when she hopped up there was the egg! She's not showing any signs of illness (which I know they're good at hiding it), but all are healthy and I've actually added oyster shell to their diet, but not changed anything otherwise. She even hollowed out a place in the nest box so I was sure there'd be an egg the next day, but nothing...

Quote:
Yes, I'm positive b/c I only have 3 silkies and they all just turned 6 mo. old (she laid her first eggs at the end of Feb). I actually saw her sitting on the nest box and when she hopped up there was the egg! She's not showing any signs of illness (which I know they're good at hiding it), but all are healthy and I've actually added oyster shell to their diet, but not changed anything otherwise. She even hollowed out a place in the nest box so I was sure there'd be an egg the next day, but nothing...

I hope someone will be along with some ideas. I know they are only supposed to lay like 100 eggs a year, so maybe she's taking a break and will lay in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom