Silky with Swollen Foot

Feb 5, 2019
Ohio
Hi!
I am worried about one of my silky chickens. She was acting sore on her feet about 5 days ago so I brought her inside. I was worried her feet were to cold because it was way below freezing outside. After her being inside for about 10 minutes her feet seemed to be fine again so I put her back in the coop. The next day her was acting sore on her feet again! I brought her inside and have been soaking her feet in Epsom Salt and warm water. But her feet seem even more swollen now! She will not even walk on one of her feet!

Welcome to BYC. Frostbite can cause swelling of the feet. It would be good if you could post some pictures of her feet. It might be good to keep her on a soft towel inside the house until she is healed. There are varying defrees of frostbite, and it can take a week or two to determine how much damage is done. If there are blisters, do not burst them, and do not rub or massage the skin. A daily warm soak with Epsom salts or betadine in the water may be good. Sorry that you are dealing with this. I have had a couple of chickens get frostbite on toe tips, and they eventually lost them with the toenails. The main thing is to prevent water spills, keep bedding dry, and keep them from roosting on metal trash cans and poles. Here is some reading:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/frostbite
https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Can you post one of her standing so that we can see both feet and legs? What is her normal leg color? You could try some aspirin in her water, 325 mg tablet to each 6 ounces of water for pain. She does have a bumblefoot scab on one foot, but I would not even think about working on that until the frostbite issue is done. Are you still doing soaks to her feet and using Vetericyn?

There is some significant frostbite there along with some bumblefoot in a couple of areas in the second picture. The ere is a cut in the first picture. The feet look bluish and swollen with a couple of white areas, but silkie feet look dark in color normally. I think soaking these feet daily in the Epsom salts or weak betadineor chlorhexidene would be helpful. Vetericyn is very good to spray on, or you could spray on a little weak betadine afterward. It is going to take some time to see how bow the damage will be. If a spot bleeds, that can be a good sign that there is good circulation in the skin of toes or feet.

Back
Top Bottom