Silly birdies can't really fly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eastbaychicks, Oct 17, 2009.

1. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    I have two chickens that decided one night to go to bed in a tree. So funny, and sad too because it is my tree that has thorns. Owch! We were late coming home one night around dusk and thankfully I saw one make some last minute adjustments or I would have NEVER found the bird.

Thankfully I coaxed them out of the tree and they were very willing to come to me and be put to bed.

Just for kicks, another night when we came home late... after dark. We found four of the seven birds in the house. We'd left the back door open with the dog at home and we came home to four little birdies, in the house, sitting on the backs of our chair saying "oh mom I'm so glad you're home will you put me to bed". Yes poop was everywhere! YUCK... but I just thought it was so cute and funny I couldn't get mad.

So why did they do that instead of going into their safe little bed? What makes a chicken decide there is just some other better place. Anyone [​IMG]

2. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  3. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Quote:Higher huh... hummmm. Maybe they do like to think they can fly.... which they can't. But it makes them feel safer to have to fly somewhere to go to bed? They really can't fly. It's more like someone lobbing a ball when they can't throw overhand. Just a little more graceful coming down, not quite gliders but defiantly not a rock screaming toward the earth.

But still the house thing get's me. I can't make sense of it... maybe they're just being copy cats?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by