Silly Emu Pics

Okay, boys and girls, let's gather some data.

Warden, these photos are impressive because The Spazzy Dance is brief and random. However . . . they don't do it because they love you (though I'm sure they do . . . ). THEY DO IT IN THE WILD WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING!!

I have observed both chicks and young adults doing it, especially in the early morning (when I observe them when they turn up at the farmhouse for a feed). Could it be a sort of early-morning stretch? Is it cultural? That is, does it communicate something?

I have been puzzled by this for several years (and someone else posted some video of chicks doing it).

Supreme Emu

Quote:
Haha the Emu's do look like they are having a good time! 'Enchanted Sunrise Farms' Can I ask where you got your Sebastopol goslings from?? I really want to buy a pair~ did you order them online or from a local breeder?
big_smile.png

Mine always seem to do it after they fill up on feed . then they play the chase the leader game and finish up with a dip in the pond.
I have never seen my adults do it. In fact they just stare at the kids much like the old people at the mall with that what the heck look.

Well, to maintain the harmony that is so much a part of the fun of this site (I visit it everyday), we'll assume that there are two types of Spazzy Dance: Spazzydance Lovicus and Spazzydance Naturalis. The Warden's birds do their Dance – Spazzydance Lovicus -- because they love her, and others do it naturally – Spazzydance Naturalis*.

Good to see your post, Foulman. In the draft of the text I posted, I wrote 'chicks and adults.' Then I thought, 'No . . . only young adults!' So, we are in agreement.

This Chase the Leader thing intrigues me (as it also happens before and during spazzydancing): my birds used to chase each other – but no: it was always the alpha bird chasing the others.

Does anyone have any guesses about why young birds dance thus? Emu Hugger?

* The grammar is thus: he spazzydancelovicuses, she spazzydancenaturalises; they are spazzydancing; spazzydancer, etc.

Supreme Spazzydancer Naturalis

Last edited:
Well here is one for you then. I have learned how to set off spazzydancenaturalises (awesome term S.E.) a quick high then a shrill low whistle followed by a quick bow will put them in a spazy dance then crazy run. If the temp here drops back into the 90's I might try to get some video for yall.

Back
Top Bottom