silly hen stands to lay egg I think

StellaLenoir

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
Our only EE hen has just started laying

so far 2 lovely green eggs:p

But.......both have had a small impact type crack? Shells on all are nice, and no one else has had crack issues.

Is it a new layer thing?

I have lots of hay in the nest area, but they move it and lay on the wood. and of course all in the same spot, but they almost always take turns.

Any ideas on how to stop the cracking?

I love my green eggs!!!

Thanks!
smile.png

My GLW does the exact same thing and every egg has a small crack on the small end.
sad.png
She scratches and shoves until she is down to bare wood then lays her egg.
somad.gif
I am thinking of lining the nest with those straw pads they use to ship chicks.....she CAN'T scratch that out.
smile.png
I thought they all stand (well, squat) to lay eggs???

Last edited:
I think my other girls squat closer to the floor of the nest. I peek at them and they are almost just sitting there. This girl stands legs straight.

Maybe she is letting gravity suck the egg out! LOL!!

I love watching all the girls, they are so interested when someone else gos into lay. Looking and worring and fussing all around. I can always tell when to go look for some.

smile.png

I have this same problem, doesnt matter how much litter is in the box. Everyone she lays is cracked. Now add 2 broodies, one egg eater and 2 deaths this spring I am down from 7 a day to a whopping 2! Ugg!

I cut up the padded (kid's kind) placemat and put it in the nest boxes to prevent eggs cracking. So far so good!! Chickens don't mind sponge bob square pants or Dora in there nest boxes. And yes, I still put straw in the nests.

Back
Top Bottom