Silly Hen!

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I am laughing because my new layer Cordon has decided to make herself a nest right next to the actual nestbox despite the golf balls right there in the picture beside her chosen spot.

1210201004.jpg

All three eggs have been in that exact spot.

What makes it even funnier is that among my in-town flock I had a Delaware who liked that corner too.

I know that my nest boxes are fine because, though they were repaired, they are the same boxes that the previous flock laid in -- with plenty of room for the big Dark Brahma hens (who went broody in them).

I'm hoping that if I keep obliterating the floor nest and that if another pullet starts up in the box she'll get the idea.

Hard boil an egg and sacrifice it. Or pick up a fake egg next time you visit the feed store. Or take the egg in before it gets dark and the temps fall.

It's awesome to have so many options.

The golf balls worked for the entire previous flock and they work for hundreds of backyard chicken keepers worldwide.

She's a young pullet. She'll learn where the eggs are supposed to go.

It's funny that she's making a nest right beside the actual nest, not a major crisis in need of drastic solutions. :)

The golf balls worked for the entire previous flock and they work for hundreds of backyard chicken keepers worldwide.

She's a young pullet. She'll learn where the eggs are supposed to go.

It's funny that she's making a nest right beside the actual nest, not a major crisis in need of drastic solutions. :)

I have a hen that will sometimes lay her egg on the poop board.

Back
Top Bottom